• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

205 Gentry Head

Tesstuff

Ok my 205 Gentry has blown its head gasket and my friendly mechanic takes the head off on Sunday morning to have a look and see whats what.

The questions i want to ask are as follows :-

If i need to can i just screw/bolt a good cylinder head from a 1.9 Gti onto it ?

If i did would that release any more power as i know the Gentry 1.9 and the Gti 1.9 are seperated by compression differences.

If it did give anymore power would that give me any other possible problems ?

I read of lightened flywheels, can i also lighten my auto flywheel ?

Thankyou for any replies , i am very in the dark on this , dont want to mess it up.

Regards

Daz

Miles

Daz

Yes you can fit the GTi head but the Injection won;t be up to the job and the AFM and Dizzy will need changing, Even the 1.9 GTi ECU would have trouble due to the huge compression increase as the Gentry head has got the largest combustion chamber going and is belt snapping safe so you can skim a good 5mm off it if it's that bad. The gentry also uses very small valves.

You cannot lighten the flywheel as it's weigh's nothing at all, it the fluid flywheel part that the weight comes from and around 3L of ATF fluid

welshpug

the auto doesnt have a flywheel as such,

as for the first 2 queries indeed yes, its the camshaft that's one of the main factors in the lower power level.

I'm unsure what management the gentry runs but you should be able to get it to run by changing a few bits

any more power and the auto box will give problems.

Edited by welshpug

Tesstuff

Ok they are two great replies , im thinking i should go for a skim and fit a Peugeot head gasket and it should do the job rather than looking for other parts.

Ive always thought blown head gasket meant dead engine and its my first one ever and it scares the hell out of me to be honest.Thats why i've even been looking at the 306 Gti6 being stripped on ebay at the moment, nice low mileage engine with box, might be an alternative.

If its a case of a skim and new gaskets on my Gentry, then i would be rather happy.

Again , thankyou

Regards

Daz

welshpug

a skim and gasket kit should get it back running quote easily really unless there are any more underlying faults that contributed.

dont be tempted to think it'll only be a skim and gaskets though, it'll need new bolts cambelt water pump and a tensioner/idler, but good quality parts are readily available from places like GSF or ECP and many others.

Tesstuff

welshpug , will it need a new cambelt and water pump if i had one in summer only 2,500 miles ago ?

Regards

Daz

pug_ham
I'm unsure what management the gentry runs but you should be able to get it to run by changing a few bits

AFAIk the Gentry runs the LU2 Jetronic system which is why a 1.9 ecu can be fitted by simply plugging it in, even though it doesn't make it run ideally.

If the belt & water pump are only 2.5k old the pump will be fine but over what period of time has the belt done the 2.5k? I'd still change it though while its apart & start counting the miles / time period until the next change from there.

Graham.

Henry Yorke

The Gentry does run the LU2 Jetronic ECU with the ECU number bein 0 280 000 345 as it is a catted low compression Jetronic bespoke to Gentrys and 1.9 CTI's

I agree on the air flow meter and the dizzy etc, and maybe even the injectors ought to be changed if fitting a bigger valved 1.9 head. The problem you will have is that your Gentry runs a Lambda sensor, which the 1.9 ECU did not (until the later Motronic form). To be honest it is probably more cost effective popping in a GTI engine and loom from a 122 bhp GTI as you will more than likely need to run the Cat converter due to its age. The cam is "lazier" than a GTI, but this gives it more torque, which compliments the auto box and makes it a very drivable car. If you want performance, ditch the auto and fit a 1.6 box, similar to what the CTI's had. A lot of the low BHP is due to the low compression ratio, which is why I took the opportunity to turbochange my engine that is the same as yours and now has 167 bhp and nearly 200lb/ft of torque with great economy and drivability! Not on an auto box though!

jackherer

I don't think the 205 auto box can take much of a power increase.

Miles

I shall find out as mine's running a GTi head and when I get 5 min's will be on motonic without a CAT as thankfully it's on a J plate, It does run with the Mods I;ve done to the Jetronic.

The box is border line I think, Thou never looked into it but what boxes do the 2.0 405's run as it's a simple swap

jackherer

TBH I don't know anything about 405 autos :P Someone on here put an Mi16 into a gentry on the autobox and went through several boxes IIRC.

pug_ham
Someone on here put an Mi16 into a gentry on the autobox and went through several boxes IIRC.

That'll have been Mad Professor, I remember him posting about it but I think it was for a mates car.

Went through two or three boxes in rapid succession but no idea if it was ever completed properly & working.

Graham.

Tesstuff

Ive been advised that the BX Gti auto had 125bhp and im wondering which box that would have had, maybe the same one as the 405? I could easily and cheaply get another auto box from a Peugeot/Citroen donor, and would be comfortable doing it as long as its a straight swap.

My mechanic has limited time and none available for fabricating or changing stuff, only simple 'swaps'.

At the moment it looks like he will be taking my head off tomorrow morning, away to be skimmed in the week, back next Sunday to refit it with the gaskets and bolts etc.

But if he takes the head off and its bad news, im going to get a new engine that can work with the autobox.or buy a combo from some Peugeot donor, maybe 306 1.8/2.0 auto for example, again as long as its an XU that fits.

I wish there were more Gentry modded cars about to refer to , very few and far between.

Regards

Daz

Miles

The 1.8's from 405, 306, ZX will fit no problems at all, it's the engine managment that's the problem

Sign in to follow this