• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

8v Cambelt Tensioner

Rob Thomson

There's about 9,000 threads on here about cambelt tensioners on the Mi16 and GTi6 engines, but bugger all about the trusty old 8Vs...

I'm planning a headgasket, water-pump and cambelt change in the next couple of weeks. Should I replace the tensioner or do they last forever?

I'm inclined to change it, but I've just added up the list of parts I need for my quick pre-MOT rebuild and I'm beginning to get scared...

Thanks again,

Rob.

Tom Fenton

They are not expensive so good piece of mind if you don't know its history. If you want to save pennies give it a good inspection when it comes off, any sign of roughness/noise/tight spots/play and obviously its a new one required.

Super Josh

I don't think it's worth pissing about with such a cheap component, that could wreck your engine if it fails. Not that expensive from GSF

N13166 TIMING BELT TENSIONER-SKF 205 1.9 GTi £24.50

Josh

Miles

They do go on forever or seem to compared to the 16v ones, But as they are all getting old now they really need replacing.

matty_gti

Just buy a complete cambelt kit which includes the tensioner, its not alot more expensive plus its piece of mind seeing as your doing the pump aswel.

Matt

Sign in to follow this