• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Abs Light Timing Sequence

Rupertfinch

I am that kind of prat!

Anyone know the length of time it should take for the ABS light to go out following ignition?

Let us assume that (for arguments sake) a person was considering having a relay added to the malfunctioning ABS system on his beloved/hated 205. The car has had new everything (pads, discs, calipers, hoses) in the last 12 months, yet is unloved by the MOT tester. A different MOT tester may believe the ABS is fully functioning and may decide that since the car is well cared for, has more spent on it that most crapboxes and has brakes that are so well within the 'requirements' its embarrassing that my little car can have a special 12 month sticker.

Such a procedure is circa £110.

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Edited by Rupertfinch

ade 4wd

The ABS light should go out after 2 seconds. If it stays on or does not come on it indicates a fault. You can read fault codes without any special diagnostic equipment.

Rob Thomson

For £110 couldn't you just convert to proper brakes? It can't be hard to do on a 205.

Anthony
For £110 couldn't you just convert to proper brakes? It can't be hard to do on a 205.

It's not. For £110 you can completely overhall the whole brake system with new lines, pipes, pads, fluid and MC FFS...

les3002

if the mot computer says the car has abs isnt it the case that it has to have it and cannot be removed?

Miles

Just remove the bulb from the dash then I doubt they would know it had it as 99% of 205's did not and stick a bag over the pump under the expansion bottle

Anthony
if the mot computer says the car has abs isnt it the case that it has to have it and cannot be removed?

Not as far as I'm aware - I was under the impression that like many parts of the MOT, if the vehicle has something fitted (in this case ABS) then it must work correctly, but if it's not present then it can't be tested and thus won't fail. Certainly there's a few de-ABS'd 205's on here and I'm not aware of any of them having any grief at MOT time.

Rupertfinch

Many thanks to all who posted.

Believe it or not the MOT is really very rigorous over here in the land of the Pikeys. It's all done in one of about 11 government test centres, none of this turn up at kwikfit nonsense you mainlanders have! Lucky b@stards.

In all seriousness I really like the 'remove the ABS option' but have no clue how to do this and was worried I'd get totally fleeced. I'd be happy to spend double the £110 if that would remove it and replace all needed parts. That way I'd know that my motor was properly honest again and would feel much better if I ever come to sell it.

So all I need is new lines and a MC and some consumables (new pads-though mine have only done a few k, fluid etc) How much In all seriousness should I be looking at to have this done? Would I need to remove the abs ECU? More to the point why hasn't someone posted exactly every step I need to take! Call yourselves a forum! :wub:

bluespanner

dude... just take the bulb out!

richard
Many thanks to all who posted.

Believe it or not the MOT is really very rigorous over here in the land of the Pikeys. It's all done in one of about 11 government test centres, none of this turn up at kwikfit nonsense you mainlanders have! Lucky b@stards.

In all seriousness I really like the 'remove the ABS option' but have no clue how to do this and was worried I'd get totally fleeced. I'd be happy to spend double the £110 if that would remove it and replace all needed parts. That way I'd know that my motor was properly honest again and would feel much better if I ever come to sell it.

So all I need is new lines and a MC and some consumables (new pads-though mine have only done a few k, fluid etc) How much In all seriousness should I be looking at to have this done? Would I need to remove the abs ECU? More to the point why hasn't someone posted exactly every step I need to take! Call yourselves a forum! :)

If you think your abs ecu is buggered i have one. And the pump but that weighs about 10kg (or it feels like it!)

car has been de-abs'd and it feels so much better, plus to be fair stamping on the brakes at 80 brought the car to a stop but i didnt feel any kickback on the brake pedal.

ABS light on dash should go out after 2 sec's, or at least mine did. ECU is at hte back of the car and about a 10 minute swap out...so no jiggery pokery under dash or anything like that.

Rupertfinch

Many thanks Richard. I've no idea if the ecu in the boot has given up the ghost or not. To be fair I assume it's more likely to be buggered little sensors on the hub carriers, or the pump is gone or...etc, etc... That's my problem, I'd love to be able to start having a go at fixing all the potential broken bits but I haven't got the time or the facilities - although the sight of my car sitting SORN'd on the driveway is depressing and should spur me to action.

Could I ask you a wee bit about the 'de-absing' (I like that word) process?

Am I right in thinking it involves the removal of the abs pump and fitting of a new master cylinder and some jiggery pokery with the copper brake lines inside the engine bay? Or am I being far too simplistic?

And may I be so bold as to ask how much you paid to have such a procedure done?

Any information would be greatfully appreciated, hopefully I'm in the process of sorting out a mid 80's - 90's Peugeot mechanic who has done such a neutering on a 'home' basis before - I just want to be sure I fully understand what's involved before I throw the cash his way. Oh, thoughts of an MOT certificate are almost too exciting to bare!

richard

to be fair rupert, Miles on here did the conversion for me.

But essentially its removing a 6 pipe system down to 4, removal of the abs pump and its loom.

I did have the entire brake system replaced, and think the compensators went as well. Anyway whatever Miles done, it is far superior to how it was.....real confidence inspiring stuff.

Im sure Miles will give you more details.

jas-E

Actually im interested in knowing how to completely remove the abs system from a 205, as am planning to remove mine.

I dont think the kick back system was on the 205, as i learnt once when i hit a manhole cover under heavy braking before reaching a red light and the brake pedal just went all the way down..!!It felt like i had lost most of the braking in the system, and my car stopped well past the lights!! I just needed to pump the brakes and i had them back, but imagine there was a car at thelights infront of me....!! :(

Anyway, any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated (Miles..!) :P

Sign in to follow this