• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daza4

Help

daza4

Right then.

Car has gone through MOT and apart from a slightly low headlight it has gone through apart from:

1. No footbrake to n/s/r brake no braking force at all.

2. Hand brake not effective (get non-existant) on the o/s/r.

Now what I would like to know are peoples feelings on this.

My gut feeling is the n/s/r brake compensator is not working causing no rear brakes.

It is the lack of handbrake on the other side that is causing confusion.

Any one got any ideas???

M_R_205

seized calliper? aparently its quite common

Tom Fenton

Check for seized handbrake mech in the caliper, also check the handbrake cable hasn't seized, finally check that the outer part of the handbrake cable hasn't collapsed causing the outer to bunch up rather than pulling on the lever on the caliper.

daza4
seized calliper? aparently its quite common

Checked that first of all. but is all moving in and out ok.

Check for seized handbrake mech in the caliper, also check the handbrake cable hasn't seized, finally check that the outer part of the handbrake cable hasn't collapsed causing the outer to bunch up rather than pulling on the lever on the caliper.

Will check this again. All the mech parts seem to be working ie I can move both rear mechanisms with my hands and a screw driver. So in theory they are ok.

Thanks for the replies.

Tom Fenton

Check that the pads haven't seized into the carrier, I've also seen this before.

Anthony

Almost certainly a failed compensator for the lack of effort on the NSR - a quick confirmation can be had by trying to bleed that caliper, and you'll find that you'll get very little fluid/pressure through compared to the other corner.

With regards the lack of handbrake effort, did they give you the figures showing how the two sides compared? It might be that the NSR only just scraped through on the handbrake test - I've never personally seen dramatically different levels of effort on 205 disk-braked handbrakes.

Personally, what I've done in the past on disk braked 205/306's that have failed on low effort handbrakes is to replace both cables, and to remove the calipers and check that everything moves freely and wind the pistons in and out a few times. Check that the disks and (particularly) pads are in good condition and worn straight and evenly too. That's always fixed it for me.

Jrod

My rear discs only just scraped through the mot on handbrake, they just aren't that strong even when in good condition. Also said it was so close to a fail when braking normally. I told him to turn the little knob in the car until they were satisfactory. :)

Does anyone else struggle to get the brake test done? My car kept jumping out of the rollers.

daza4
Check that the pads haven't seized into the carrier, I've also seen this before.

Checked and stripped both sides now and seem to be ok.

Almost certainly a failed compensator for the lack of effort on the NSR - a quick confirmation can be had by trying to bleed that caliper, and you'll find that you'll get very little fluid/pressure through compared to the other corner.

With regards the lack of handbrake effort, did they give you the figures showing how the two sides compared? It might be that the NSR only just scraped through on the handbrake test - I've never personally seen dramatically different levels of effort on 205 disk-braked handbrakes.

Personally, what I've done in the past on disk braked 205/306's that have failed on low effort handbrakes is to replace both cables, and to remove the calipers and check that everything moves freely and wind the pistons in and out a few times. Check that the disks and (particularly) pads are in good condition and worn straight and evenly too. That's always fixed it for me.

CORRECT !!! Replaced the o/s/r compensator and we have fluid coming through. Hurrah. :lol:

My rear discs only just scraped through the mot on handbrake, they just aren't that strong even when in good condition. Also said it was so close to a fail when braking normally. I told him to turn the little knob in the car until they were satisfactory. :)

Does anyone else struggle to get the brake test done? My car kept jumping out of the rollers.

Once I had stripped and done as above they seemed a bit better. It is still low but at least the brakes now work.

HERE COMES The ticket!!!!! :wacko:

Thanks for all your help guys.

daza4

Got a nice new MOT cert sat on my desk. Hurrah.

Thanks again for peoples help.

Clean car at the weekend and it will be for Sale!!!