• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jodycraw

Front Bumper

jodycraw

I had a little front end bump in the car this morning (Gti '89 model), bloody bumper's pushed in a couple of inches and cracked all the front bumper.

The bonnet, slam panel, valance, headlights, wings etc all seem ok and straight as they were before, everything under the bonnet is ok and the radiator hasn't been touched - though I could only look at the engine side of the rad without taking all the slam panel and bumper off. There's no leaks anyway. I was only rolling forward at a roundabout.

My question is am I likely to need any other parts other than just a bumper and red metal strip??? Just having a look on ebay etc for bits...

Thanks for any advice...

Also if anyone has a phase 1.5 front bumper they need to get rid of let me know (i've had a look in the for sale section)

welshpug

the 4 fixings will more than likely snap so you'll need these as well, the brackets will straighten if they are bent though.

jodycraw
the 4 fixings will more than likely snap so you'll need these as well, the brackets will straighten if they are bent though.

Thanks - are they cheap parts from Peugeot I presume? I'd like to get all the bits i need before I take it all off to change it......

Rupertfinch

And an angle grinder to get the rusted in bumper fixings off!

I managed to reuse a number of things scavenged from my old bumper but did buy the 4 big bumper bolts from eurocarparts for £9.02 all in. Depending on the state of things when you come to get it off you may be looking at a little more than that, I'm pretty positive pug do a complete bumper mounting kit - but I think it's a wee bit pricey, then again, it's a job that may last for 20 years! So actually works out cheap as chips!

The 4 fixings are part no 820735000 by the way.

Tom Fenton

Be prepared for all the fixings to be rusted solid. I'd buy 4-off of the bolts that go through the bumper (have a grey plastic square head), I'd also buy 2 off front bumper irons, these are not expensive, you can straighten the old ones but the new ones are not dear, also you'll probably need the rubber bits that fix the corners of the bumper to the wing near the wheelarch.

New pattern bumpers are not that dear, I got one for my car from a local car panels place, it fitted OK.

welshpug

It's been mentioned recently that GSF have got original GRP type bumpers back in stock instead of just plastic ones, check before handing over the cash though.

Neat auto's do sell the right ones, but their couriers aren't so good...

jodycraw

I thiink there's a GSF round the corner from my work so I might try them then,... See if i can get the bumper and whole fitting kit from them

Thanks for the advice

jodycraw

Just for info GSF don't do them anymore apparently...

brianthemagical

pug fitting kits are circa £16 for each end, and that includes everything you need, including the valance clips, rubber light strip thingys and lots of unused stuff in a nice reusable tub.

Sign in to follow this