• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tillingsp

Door Won't Shut Properly

Guest tillingsp

Hello,

My Gti drivers door protudes as though the door is not shut properly. I can't see any adjustment on the door catch/lock. Any suggestions on how the get a flush shut?

Cheers

Simon.

GLPoomobile

What part of the door protrudes, or is it evenly protruding the whole way around?

If it's along the top/top corner, it's likely it has had a break in at some point. Open the door, stick your thigh in the gap, close the door against it and then gently push against top to bend it back towards the B pillar. Repeat until you get it right. Just don't be too hard with it as they are flimsy buggers :)

If it's all the way down the back edge then it's likely to be a problem with the latch or striker, so that'll need to be adjusted. Has the door sagged on it's hinges (is there vertical play in the door when open) as this will mean it won't line up with the striker.

If it's the front edge then you can loosen the bolts inside the door (remove trim panel), get someone to lean up against it from outside so it sits flush with the body and tighten the bolts.

That's a very rushed and not particulary technical reply I'm afraid, so best to give us more details to go on :P

Edited by GLPoomobile

Guest tillingsp

Sorry for not being very specific. It is just the rear of the door that protudes, the rest appears to fit fine. It is as though I haven't pulled the door closed properly. So how do you adjust the striker plate, I can't see any bolts on the exterior, or do you have to get inside the door?

cheers

Simon

hengti

sounds as thought the striker catch just needs moving in a little - it has a stardrive/torx fitting in its head

welshpug

and a nut on the opther end IIRC, behind the inner panel on the rear 1/4

Guest tillingsp

Thanks for your help. I will take closer look.

Simon.

osama

i checked mine and tweaked them so they are flush now! thanks!

Paintguy
and a nut on the opther end IIRC, behind the inner panel on the rear 1/4

It should be a captive nut/plate really, so there's no need to actually get to the back of it :wub:

timb1046

i just..... thought i may have had this problem having not had it before, as i read this then popped to the shops, got back to my drive and every time i shut the door it wasnt shutting properly.... i then saw the seatbelt strap protruding from the bottom of the door :S :):blush:

Sign in to follow this