• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Rear Wheel Rubbing On Arch

pacey205

Right so over the christmas break fitted a 309 beam to my car (rebuilt) and after taking it for a little test drive it has bent the passenger side rear 3/4 arch (not the plastic trim) on the lower section under the trim.

dsc01892sa5.th.jpgdsc01893kx6.th.jpg

I did a bit of a search and found this old topic http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...rch++rear++beam but both bump stops are present (not sure how old they are though) and although the rear sandwhich mounts have been renewed on the beam I didnt do the fronts (In my eagerness to get the beam on and sorted I completely forgot about them B))

So is it just a case of renewing the bumpstops or something else ? Henry did you manage to sort yours ?

Oh and Im running Eagle F1's (195 50 15) which have got plenty of tread on them.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Anthony

Do both sides sit approximately the same position front-back in the wheel arch?

I've never known the wheel to rub there on a 309 beam and on my own car there appears to be loads of clearance there at a glance. My 205 doesn't have bumpstops on it (both sides have snapped bolts that I need to drill out) and has had the suspension bottomed out hard enough to pop both plastic arches off the car (friend was driving it fully-laiden and didn't see a level crossing which she hit at 40mph+ B)) and there was no damage to the metalwork around there, so I think that rules the bumpstop suggestion out.

pacey205

Nope, the wheels appear to sit quite nicely in the centre, there is a little bit of a difference but after looking through this topic http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...rch++rear++beam I dont think its anything major, both wheels appear to be the same distance from the front arch as far as I can see. After reading through that topic though if the 1.9 beam is offset would that make a difference as the 309 mounts are not offset ? Having said that my 1.9 mounts look identical both sides anyway so.......

Is it possible that the front mounts are allowing some movement and this has caused it to move forwards and touch the arch ?

Michael

GtiMad

Pacey, I think the main problem is your gay. :ph34r:

pacey205

Cheers rich, as ever your a pillar of support !

osama

i had the same problem on my TD because i put the 1.6 alloys on which were evidently too big. Have you kept the original tyre profile? or changed the wheels?

pacey205

Tyre profile is pretty much as original (195/55 15's on speedlines) so shouldnt have make any difference, besides that its been fine with the 1.9 beam on up till now with the same wheels.

Michael

nick

Original size was 185/55/15, so yours are bigger. If you go to a 195 you really need a 50/45 ratio tyre.

GtiMad

Pace, I have been thinking about this, and as its the passenger side, wondered if you had your new bird in the car at the time?

Butler

Pace, did GTiMad fit the beam for you?

pacey205

Sorry that should have read 195/50 15 .

Marc and Rich, get f***ed.

Henry Yorke

Spooky this! I commented on this topic http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=84305&hl= and then the other day I went out and had a fiddle (with the beam). The drivers side is an inch between tyre and front of the arch and the passengers side is 1/2 an inch. So I loosened all the beam mount bolts, put the hand brake on and dragged it forwards and even chocked that wheel for good measure!

post-3457-1199472286_thumb.jpg

Then I tightened it all up. It seemed better.... untill I took the brick away and it was no different. This is the result

post-3457-1199472331_thumb.jpg

I think I am on 1.6 beam mounts. If I switch to 1.9 ones, will that move it back 5mm? That is all I need. It will be fine once the tyres wear down a bit too! Also the PTS rims sit very wide on a 205 beam, though I didn't have this problem with my 7x15 ET15 wheels before with Eagle F1's after I rebuilt the beam. Infact it did catch on the other side on the previous beam, as can be seen in the first post.

One other thing is that the beam seems slightly offset on the passengers side (sits wider) than the drivers, judging by some wear on the arch, but it has had a drivers quarter on at some point in its life (a genuine panel though).

I too was thinking about front mounts having gone as why else would the beam move forward. The wheel moves back when under load as I found out with the brick under it.

The rear arms are off disc brakes 1.9's as I pressed out the shafts from 3 and a half beams and am pretty sure I fitted the best shafts to the existing 1.9 arms that were on my original axle as they had the brakes attached etc. There would be not reason to swap these.

So the answer to your PM Pacey is no I have not solved it yet, but I need to! 309 beams / wide offset wheels and tyres with plenty of tread highlight this problem as the tyre would miss that bit of the arch otherwise.

pacey205

Henry, that thread is what made me go back and find the others on your original thread and the beam alignment one. Funnily enough though my wheels do seem to sit pretty centrally, there is a little mismatch but nothing huge. After jsut reading this though Ive just checked Dad's CTI and the passenger side wheel is a good half an inch closer to the front of the rear arch but that dosent rub (with speedlines on).

Another thing is that when I originally bought my car it was bent in exactly the same place (not as bad though) with the standard suspension all round fitted ! And yet another thing is that it hasnt rubbed at all on the plastic arch but it has rubbed properly on the plastic arch on the drivers side (Ive ground it back now), wierd.

Either way though Ive got some Baker BM solid bushes arriving tomorrow (hopefully) so I am going to fit those, re-fit the beam and see what its like. However if anyone else has any theories then bring em on as I'd like to work out why it rubs rather than just hoping it will sort itself out.

Michael

welshpug

this is quite odd, my beam sits too far back!

Dj_mini

Are the mounts nearest the front of the car off set from center slightly so if you put them on the wrong side they would pull the beam forward if you see what im getting at?

welshpug

only on a 1.9, and they are meant to be fitted so the beats its closer to the front, theres markings on them! D + G, droite et gauche :)

burnt_crisps2

So if your fitting a 309 beam to a 1.9 205 do you need to use the 1.9 mounts or the 309 mounts ?

Michael

Whoops sorry, logged in as the old man !

Edited by burnt_crisps2

Anthony
So if your fitting a 309 beam to a 1.9 205 do you need to use the 1.9 mounts or the 309 mounts ?

All the beams I've done have used the complete 309 setup - no need to use any 205 bits

Henry Yorke

I would assume 1.9 and 309 beam mounts are the same (i.e. offset). Can someone confirm this? I think I have my mounts the right way round (Dolce & Gabanna = D&G!)

bluespanner

my wheels rub like buggers on 195/45R15s :D I think my rear beam is buggered.

pacey205

After reading the previous topic started by Henry again and noticing someone fitting powerflex poly rear bumpstops helped stop but they had cost them £30 from autofive. Had a quick tinternet search and found these http://www.polyurethanebushes.com/product_...products_id/280 which I think I may order and stick on.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Henry Yorke

I think I have cured this today!

Finally dropped the beam and fitted my 1.9 GTI front mounts. The 1.9 mounts can be identified with a D and a G on them. The 1.6 ones don't have a sided marking on them

post-3457-1222033529_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the 1.6 on the left and the 1.9 on the right. I have tried to take it aligned to the block paving to give an idea of offset.

post-3457-1222033546_thumb.jpg

A quick blast up the road over bumps that had historically caught reveals no noise! :) I had to undo and adjust the rear mounts as well to get them back in the holes. Here is a pic that shws what extra distance I gained

post-3457-1222033693_thumb.jpg

It needs a better road test to complete the exercise. I put paint back over the area that had scuffed so I can see if it does it again

Hope this helps.

RossD

Indeed, D = Droite, G = Gauche, the French for right and left.

Alastairh

Good work Henry :)

Sign in to follow this