• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

Coolant Warning Light On At Start Up

number2301

Odd problem this one, the coolant warning light comes on when I start the car, then fades gradually over 15 or so minutes until it goes off, I've checked the coolant level and that looks fine, although its not the easiest to check with a black phase 2 header tank, so is there anything else I should be checking before assuming its just a dodgy connection?

ANDYGON

ok sorry to seem patronizing but top it up. i had that with mine.

i put a bit full of water in,surely you know that when water gets hot the air in the water expands and will put the warning out?

number2301

Patronise away, I hadn't thought of that but know what you're talking about. Cheers :ph34r:

number2301

Filled it up, in the dark, overflowed a bit :) . But unfortunately the light is still coming on when its cold until the engine warms up a bit.

BossHogg
Filled it up, in the dark, overflowed a bit :wub: . But unfortunately the light is still coming on when its cold until the engine warms up a bit.

I have this problem, it was alleviated for a bit by removing the sensor cleaning all the gunk off it (used some sand paper) and refitting it. However the problem is back :lol: so the next course of action is to fit another low level sensor and see if that helps.

Simes

The sensor is inside the tube - when shaking it around should rattle. Swirl the bottom end of the sensor around in a bucket of water until all the rusty nastiness comes out. Then shake dry.

Edited by Simes

ronnie_gti

just about to say that. or buy a new one but from what i can remember they are expensive

Super Josh

I had this problem and cleaned out the sensor. It fixed it for a month or two and it then came back. New sensor was just shy of 25 quid IIRC.

Josh

Pugnut
The sensor is inside the tube - when shaking it around should rattle. Swirl the bottom end of the sensor around in a bucket of water until all the rusty nastiness comes out. Then shake dry.

thats the phase 1 sensor .

the phase 2 one is 2 resistive probes sticking up from the bottom of the tank.

cleaning and sanding the two probes used to do it for me .

number2301

Cheers for that, I was wondering where the sensor was on this one having had phase 1s in the past :P

Sign in to follow this