• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFLY

Nooooo Heater Matrix Is Fekked!

Guest SuperFLY

symptoms...

engine hot.. TOO hot!!

cold air from blower when engine hot

drivers footwell sopping wet!! :D

and on check.. fek all water in the system when it was fine a few days ago.

along with everything else thats gone wrong this has really wound me up.. main problem.. i cant even afford to fix it!

why do these things always happen at the worst time?

anyone got any 'easy guides' to replacing it? i've not done it before and i've heard its a bitch

ta all

Guest TB_205GTI

Hmm, on a left handdrive it´s easy, it only takes about 30 min.. Loosen the panel under the steeringwheen, loosen the two bolts holding the piping to the matrix. Pull the matrix out. Fitting is reversal. But as I said this is on the lefthand driven 205´s. Not sure if the heatermatrix is fitted in the same way on a right had drive?

Guest krystalized

Changed my heater matrix a couple of weeks ago, took a couple of hours to do because I pulled a load of the dash out that I probably didn't need to ... thinking I could only do it if I got the heater box out ... bah not so.

You really want a matrix kit that contains the pipes, o-rings, lock plates & adhesive foam strip. There's no point not doing the lot once you're in there.

I'd try it this way ;-

Drain coolant.

Remove the two hoses at their connection to the heater matrix on the bulkhead.

Remove the lower dash trim panel from under the steering column. ( Remove the dash vent nearest the drivers door - there's a hidden screw holding the trim on there .. )

With the panel off you should be able to see the heater box and the two silver pipes that connect to the heater matrix.

Its worth noting I did take my centre console out ( tray, gear gaitor cover etc ) but you may be able to do the job without removing it.

Follow the pipes up towards the bulkhead, you'll find a retaining clamp, undo the two screws and remove the clamp.

Undo the two screws holding each pipe into its union at the heater matrix - these will be tight - take your time, you don't want to round the heads off. ( My replacement kit actualy contained bolts, I re-used the screws no problem )

Be prepared for some spillage and pull the pipes from the heater matrix.

At the bulkhead side gently tap the pipes in towards the cabin. Waggle the pipes at the matrix end to free them from the gromet in the bulkhead and pull them down into the footwell. The pipes are different lengths so note which one is which.

Undo the two screws holding the matrix into the heaterbox and withdraw the matrix. Be prepared for yet more spillage ...

Idealy vacuum out the empty heater box at this point before fitting the new matrix - it'll be full off all sorts of s*ite thats fallen in over the years.

Fit the adheisive foam strip to the new matrix in the same position as that fitted to the old one.

Refit the matrix, pipes ( make sure you put the o-rings on [A] and the lock rings before fitting the pipes) refit the pipe clamp. Refit the heater hoses at the bulkhead. Make sure everythings nice and tight. Refill the cooling system & bleed up. Check for leaks and refit the dash trim.

matrix.jpg

HTH

Guest LittleRocket

Just fitted a new CD Player - and my heater matrix has sprung a leak - knackering it. I'm thinking about repairing it myself - but wondered whether or not it was a good idea just to get rid of it (not replace it). Think I read somewhere that it saves about 13 kilos in weight. Just wanted to double check that this wouldn't cause any major problems. Would it just be a case of taking it out and re-working the hosing under the bonnet? If I do decide to get it done at a garage - how much am I looking at to replace it?

richsmells

It won't pass an mot without it as you need to be able to demist the windscreen. Do a search as problems/solutions regarding this issue occur fequently.

Speaking with regard to my limited mechanical experience gained from the school of 205 ownership, changing the heater matrix isn't that hard.

Edited by richsmells

Guest LittleRocket
It won't pass an mot without it as you need to be able to demist the windscreen.

Damn - Suppose they won't accept my little cloth in the glove box as an alternative ;)

pug_ham
Damn - Suppose they won't accept my little cloth in the glove box as an alternative ;)
Wouldn't like to say but I doubt it as you can't keep all windows xcclear with it whilst driving.

The other thing about not having a heater is that you'll be damn cold in the car at this tiime of year. I speak from experience when my matrix sprung a leak at Donington last November & I had to drive home without one.

For the sake of £40 for a new one & a couple of hours work to fit it I'd keep it.

A garage would be looking at charging over £100 for fitting, DIY it. Its really not that hard.

Have a search as there are quite a few topics about the heater matrix & how to change it.

Graham.

mbayley77

If you cant afford to fix it now then surely a 3 inch long bit of copper pipe and two jubilee clips joing the two hoses on the engine side of the bulkhead would supply a £1 fix until the further 40 pounds could be found for a new matrix.

pug_ham

You wouldn't need any jubilee clips, just use the ones already fitted for the hoses by the bulkhead.

Graham.

Guest LittleRocket

I can afford £40 - but I'm not gonna pay over £100 on labour. Halfords have sent my head unit off to Sony (only had it fitted 3 days earlier at £160) - just praying that the damage isn't too bad and they'll fix it under warranty.

https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/heate...hp?recordID=119

That works out at £39 including VAT and delivery. Right Part?

Also - I'm certainly no expert when it comes to mechanics. Managed to fit a K&N and replace a door- is it more or less difficult than either of these.

jackherer

thats the right part. I'd say its slightly harder to fit than a k&n, probably about the same as a door. Dont trust the haynes manual which tells you to pull the dash out which you dont have to do. Searching will tell you more...

hengti

only skim read others' replies, so apols if someone has already mentioned this, but here's my two pennies worth

1. make sure it is actually coolant that's leaking - taste it on the end of your finger

2. check the pipe seals before condemning the matrix - there are small rubber o rings you can pick up from Pug for pence which aren't difficult to fit and might be the only source of the possible leak

richsmells

in hindsight mine was just the o ring seals. but i had already bought a new matrix so just replaced it.

You can do it by just removing the steering column trim and the screwed in metal bracket behind that. Pull the pipes off in the engine bay, unbolt the metal plate holding the pipes in place. Then unscrew the brackets holding the pipes into the matrix. Remove both pipes, use a bowl to catch the coolant. The matrix should slide out with a bit of persuasion. Repeat in reverse with the new one. Takes a couple of hours tops.

pug_ham

Slightly expanded version of rich's post;

Drain what's left in the cooling system out.

Remove drivers lower dash panel (by your knee's).

You should now be able to see two metal pipes going into the heater matrix under the dash. (Pictured above).

Remove the clip Rich mentions & there are two diagonally opposite screws hold the pipes into the matrix. Prepare for some water loss when you remove these as they don't empty with the rest of the coolant.

The heater matrix is held in by two screws to the heater console. Remove these & it should slide out sideways towards you.

Refit reverse of above & bleed cooling system by two bleed screws (one on heater hose near bulkhead & one on thermostat housing, usually sheared plastic but sometimes brass allen screw.

I usually also remove the centre console for more access but i don't have a stereo so its not hard to do. Others with a stereo say it can be done without removing the centre console.

Graham.

Guest LittleRocket
2. check the pipe seals before condemning the matrix - there are small rubber o rings you can pick up from Pug for pence which aren't difficult to fit and might be the only source of the possible leak

I'm certain it's coolant - it's bluey/green. Must only be a small leak though as my levels have only dropped slightly. How can I be sure its the rubber o rings? I'll strip it down and have a look. Does anyone have the part number for the rings?

Cheers for the feedback guys :)

GLPoomobile

If its the rings you will be able to see the drips forming on the pipes at the first elbow where it exits the matrix. I think you should be able to see this if you scrabble around ( I find laying in from the passenger side across both seats is the best for me).

If it's from the matrix you probably won't see anything unless you remove the stereo and may see coolant collecting/dripping in that area.

pug_ham
Does anyone have the part number for the rings?

02 6462 34 02 HEATER TAP SEAL DIAM 20

It might be worth dropping jonmurgie a pm as when he got some he had to buy a bag of 10 iirc.

Wet a finger & taste it, you'll know if its coolant.

Graham.

hengti

^^^

the ones I bought came as a bag'o'10 - £5.05 inc vat (part 646234 as per pugtorque)

still cheaper than £40 for a matrix!

If you're a real pikey you could just take the old seal to a hardware shop and buy a couple the same size

Whilst you're under there, you may as well take the matrix out to check it over and flush it through - not alot more work once you've disconnected the pipes

richsmells

the thing that pi*ses me off about the heater matrix leaking is that the car has now become damp. Loads of water swilling about in the passenger footwell, under the mats and in the carpet. It evaporates anc condenses on the windows and runs into the seats :( Especially in this weather.

I ripped the carpet out and dried the floor off with a towel but it's still not great. Can't wait for some hot weather, then i'm going to pull apart the interior and get it sorted! :wacko:

RHULPUG
1. make sure it is actually coolant that's leaking - taste it on the end of your finger

tasting coolant isn't always advisable, did you mean test?

Secondly, the screen demister is not tested on an MOT, and a screen can be cleared with warm or cold air.

jeremy

This job is only made awkward because of its location, but should only take you a couple of hours max, speaking from personal experience. You will also need to get some anti freeze to replace what you have lost, and do not forget to dilute it. Perhaps at the same time you may just as well drain the whole cooling system down and replace with new coolant.

hengti

Secondly, the screen demister is not tested on an MOT, and a screen can be cleared with warm or cold air.

you don't have to pour yourself a pint of it or anything!! :wacko:

you'll be fine just tasting it

richsmells

it's quite tasty ;) well... it's sweet. If you spill it you should wash it away as dogs are quite partial to having a drink.

pug_ham
I mean tasting, just run your finger ontehwet carpet & thenlick your finger. tastes horrible. I wouldn't say sweet but definately a distinctive tase that you won't mistake for anything else.

Keep a glass of water handy to swill round your mouth & drink some milk soon afterwards to get rid of the taste.

Graham.

Guest BrainFluid

lols...

So, what about replacing the heaters fan?

Any tips on that?

I was forced to leave my TD stood for a few weeks last november and the fan makes one hell of a racket now, like a mouse set up home right in between the blades and every time its switched on it starts chopping that mouse right up.

I hope it wasnt a mouse of course, but you catch my drift.

Sign in to follow this