• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Mid 80's Peugeot Build Quality

Alan_M

Are all the rear quarter panels a bit pissed on 205's, much like a huge 'tached frenchman has chucked them on a Friday afternoon with the temptation of some onions and garlic nearby whilst he was supping some vino.

On my 205, its 5mm shorted on the drivers side between the tyre and arch (horizontally) than the passenger side.

I had a smack in the car at the Ring, which bent the crosstube on the original beam. Changed it over to a rebuilt item which still sat pissed. The shell was checked on a jig and proved to be straight.

And now I'm concerned that it there is something wrong with the shell, although there is no evidence of twisting/bent shell.

Can someone please tell me that all 205's do this?

Pugnut

have you tried slackening all the beam mounts (boot floor and also the fwd bushes) ? you're only 2.5mm out . first time i put a beam back on i did it with all the bolts tight and it was a nightmare. nowadays i leave everything loose then get it bolted to the car . i guess there a small ammount of adjustment but not sure about 2.5mm . have you measured the clearance of the inner arches on both sides also ?

boombang

You mean one wheel sits further back the other side? If so have you got both mounts on the same way round?

Pugnut
You mean one wheel sits further back the other side? If so have you got both mounts on the same way round?

i was thinking that Alan means horizontally from the centre of the car towards the outside. east to west if you assume the car is pointing north.

Alan_M

Thats what I mean, the drivers side sits further back than the passenger by a few mm's. And yes, the mounts are the same way round.

Henry Yorke

I have the same problem on my skip. Oddly it happened on the drivers side and the tyres caught the front of the arch. I rebuilt the beam and it was fine. Then I put the PTS wheels on and new tyres with a square shoulder (Proxis 4's) and it now lightly catches on the from of the arch on the passengers side. I am going to slacken off all the bolts and park it on a hill with a handbrake on before tightening them up again! I think I am running a 1.6 beam with 1.9 arms and brakes on it (it took 3 and a half beams to make one good one!!). I may swap to 1.9 front mounts if the hill & handbrake combo doesn't work as they are different to 1.6 ones. Infact there is a possibility you may have mixed front mounts which would make the beam sit at an angle too, but probably not a full 5mm

welshpug

don't forget that 1.9 mounts are offset by 5mm...

Dan Ingram

Has the rebuilt beam got the same arms on both sides?

Alan_M
Has the rebuilt beam got the same arms on both sides?

Anthony rebuilt it from a beam we found in a scrappy.

don't forget that 1.9 mounts are offset by 5mm...

The mounts are from my old 309 beam that did sit square.

I'm just wondering if the old, shagged rubber mounts could be causing it and a hasty swop to GrpA mounts could get me square again :)

jackherer
I'm just wondering if the old, shagged rubber mounts could be causing it and a hasty swop to GrpA mounts could get me square again :)

I don't think the rear mounts have much influence on the positioning, its mainly done by the front mounts, otherwise the earlier design of group a mount (the round ones that need the arms bending to fit) would cause all sorts of alignment issues.

James_R

Did it sit square before? Have you measured wheel centre front to back on both sides?? Then it's just the panels being dodgey not the wheel position to eachother??

Alan_M
I don't think the rear mounts have much influence on the positioning, its mainly done by the front mounts, otherwise the earlier design of group a mount (the round ones that need the arms bending to fit) would cause all sorts of alignment issues.

No, I meant the rubber bushes in the front mounts that get replaced with nylon jobbies from the GrpA kit.

Alan_M
Did it sit square before? Have you measured wheel centre front to back on both sides?? Then it's just the panels being dodgey not the wheel position to eachother??

Not tried that yet, but it was my next step although there is something clearly wrong with the front drivers side (bent strut I think :) ) so I'm not sure on the accuracy of using the front wheel as a benchmark.

I should re-iterate that the shell has been on a jig (and is straight) and there is no visible evidence of damage (rippling, cracking etc).

jackherer
No, I meant the rubber bushes in the front mounts that get replaced with nylon jobbies from the GrpA kit.

OK I see. They would have to be very knackered...

Can you try fitting a known good beam or alternatively can you try your beam on a known good shell? I did that when I had doubts about my beam and it turned out I was correct, the trailing arms were mismatched.

Alan_M

I've been out with out with a tape measure and they both read roughly 79" rim edge to rim edge on both sides. Can't be to exact as its kinda hard to measure it yourself.

Still not 100% happy though, only way I think is to get it on a 4 wheel laser alignment jig.

Sign in to follow this