• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

306 Complete Hubs On 205

foreigner

I was just thinking when I saw this 306 and 205 in my local brekers.

Will the complete hub fit to 205 ?

Probably stupid question but I still had to ask.

Sandy

As long as it's that same gearbox (BE to BE or MA to MA) and has 16mm pin balljoints, some later 306s have 18mm. The strut angle is slightly different though, I've recently discovered, so you'll lose a bit of negative camber if you fit them.

Henry Yorke
The strut angle is slightly different though, I've recently discovered, so you'll lose a bit of negative camber if you fit them.

So conversely if you fit 205 1.9 GTI hubs to a 306, you get more neg camber?

gti_al
As long as it's that same gearbox (BE to BE or MA to MA) and has 16mm pin balljoints, some later 306s have 18mm. The strut angle is slightly different though, I've recently discovered, so you'll lose a bit of negative camber if you fit them.

Can't you machine out the hub and fit a sleeve for the strut? That way you can have as much camber as you want

A few people here have started doing that - apparently it is better to get neg camber that way than with longer LCAs. Not entirely sure why... I've been meaning to ask here to see what you guys think

Sandy

Yes Henry.

Ive seen that done changing the strut angle, it looks like alot of work! It's a neat work around of rules or to retiain OE arms for another reason, but widening the track is as beneficial as getting the camber right, also you have no adjustment.

gti_al
Ive seen that done changing the strut angle, it looks like alot of work! It's a neat work around of rules or to retiain OE arms for another reason, but widening the track is as beneficial as getting the camber right, also you have no adjustment.

I was thinking more as an alternative to 309 arms... particularly as they weren't sold here!

A couple of cars i am involved with have used this arrangement, and costs are down to about AUD$200 a pair. Apparently it isn't too difficult at all.

Does this make sense? It is interesting given the popularity of the 309 front setup

Moving the strut top, or fitting adjustable LCAs, will change the steering axis inclination, but will not affect the camber. The car will have the appearance of negative camber when the wheels are pointing straight ahead, but, as soon as you turn the wheel, the effect rapidly diminishes. This can be masked to some extent by pulling the strut top back to produce some mor "caster".

The only way to effect camber change on these is to machine out the hub carrier where it picks up the bottom of the strut, and replace the lost material.

foreigner

So is this good or bad?

Henry Yorke

Losing heg camber at the front is probably bad as most people put the 309 front set up on to gain neg camber to increase the sharpness of the turn in.

Logic also says that putting 1.6 hubs on a 306 will increase the neg camber and widen the track too! Obviously this is if the drive shafts will fit so probably the TU engined cars only.

Rippthrough
Losing heg camber at the front is probably bad as most people put the 309 front set up on to gain neg camber to increase the sharpness of the turn in.

Logic also says that putting 1.6 hubs on a 306 will increase the neg camber and widen the track too! Obviously this is if the drive shafts will fit so probably the TU engined cars only.

Interesting for me though

snillet

Why not using 1.9hubs then B)

mbayley77

Can anyone confirm for me then that the 1995 XRDT front hub I just fitted onto my 205 with 309 shafts and wishbones will also be different to the standard 205 hub?

only changed it as had it spare and the wheel bearing had gone in the 205 one.

Sign in to follow this