• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

[engine_work] Posh Track Car Project For Under £1000

sutol
Stuff that, theres a pair of 306 calipers in the for sale section for 25 quid. 247mm disc setup.

Do you mean fit 306 discs with them ? :)

danpug

Tbh i have no idea about the discs but i'd guess 205 discs would fit them, with 1.9 calipers that is.

sutol

Getting confused about brakes now :)

I'm going to do some research and see what is best value for money in the brake department.

Checked the Mi engine out today, dragged it out from a corner and had a look. Whats left of the oil in it as dark brown and it has had a cambelt not too long ago as there are still pretty fresh tipex marks on the camwheels which is encouraging. Not looking too bad then but new cambelt anyway I think.

Was wondering if you can get shot of the oil warmer and screw the oil filter direct to the block. I'll pull it off over the weekend and have a look

Oilwarmer.jpgjust an excuse to try new camera ;)

taylorspug

Put a new set of shells and thrust washers in the engine before you fit it, most MIs i see now have knackered shells, even good condition engines. Its bound to have done a few miles so for the sake of 100 quid or so it makes sense imo.

You can get rid of the heat exchanger off the block and bolt the filter straight on, but you will need to screw the small threaded section into the block that the filter screws onto. :)

Gaz-2006

Wider track is the distance between both front wheels increasing, giving the front a wider 'stance' :)

sutol
Put a new set of shells and thrust washers in the engine before you fit it, most MIs i see now have knackered shells, even good condition engines. Its bound to have done a few miles so for the sake of 100 quid or so it makes sense imo.

You can get rid of the heat exchanger off the block and bolt the filter straight on, but you will need to screw the small threaded section into the block that the filter screws onto. :)

Thought you could, know the bit you mean...Ta ;)

Will fit ends , mains etc for peace of mind .......

Wider track is the distance between both front wheels increasing, giving the front a wider 'stance' :D

How do 1.6 hubs widen the track ?? :o or dont they. :lol:

Edited by sutol

danpug

They have a different offset to 1.9 hubs so they sit a bit wider.

sutol
They have a different offset to 1.9 hubs so they sit a bit wider.

Hmmmm, I've got 1.6 hubs on the Gentry which is to be a track only so I'll use them on that with the Gentry shafts.

I've decided the cheapest option on brakes for this sub 1000 quid project, is to use the 1.9 calipers which I have on the car and which are in v good nick. I'll look for some fast road pads to compliment the new discs, job done except for braided hoses.

Put new ARB bushes in today and started to bolt up the front subframe, my magnetic dish is empty again except for the last bolt which went in after tea.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/Sutol/ebay032-1.jpg

Don't know what the washers are for :rolleyes: must be off the turbo

Started to clean the Mi for painting, going to be sprayed silver with satin black top and exhaust manifold.

sutol

What's a project without pictures ??

Ran out of Pot Black for the exhaust manifold so I just got the dregs from the tin onto it.

The end shells are mint so I'm going to risk the motor as it is. The inside of the block is clean so that is a good sign that its been looked after. ;)

I suppose that it's OK to remove the pulley from the camshaft and discard it so it will be coming off at the same time as the oil warmer. :)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/Sutol/Mi16007.jpg

That water junction thing on the back of the block is a dead end if you know what I mean, must investigate the plans :)

Going to baffle sump when I've worked a design out.

sutol

Shall I change the water pump while the motor is out just in case ?

Looks OK

NewFile037.jpg

But :(

Gungeinwaterpump.jpg

Twas full of powdered sediment.

New one on tomorrow when cam belt kit arrives :D

sutol

Need to update costs

Six speed box not being used so deleted 200 quid.

Costs so far

Car....1.9 205 GTI with 9 months test on 'H'plate..............£ 50.00....(non runner / non sunroof) :unsure:

Secondhand Mi16............................................................£ 350.00...(was robbed)

Sport front lowering springs.............................................£ 35.00..(good value - trade)

Second hand BX ECU.......................................................£ 20.00...(pleased with that)

New standard front discs by Lockheed..............................£ 40.00 (includes drill bit)

Cambelt Kit with new pulleys

Water pump, sump and exh gasket.............................. ....£ 125.00 ( Expensive but needed)

That's £ 610.00 up to now.

Cambelt and new pulleys fitted and timed up.

Sump baffled with trapdoor on the nearside and two other baffles of a secret design., When tested with water in it the water swirled towards the pickup when the sump was tilted in either direction. The baffles slowed the water surge and when tilted forwards the water was directed sideways and then swirled back towards the pickup.

Its a joy to watch and I only hope that the hot oil flows in a similar manner. :)

Just took the tax disc holder out and it held all the tax discs from 1992 to present, the same owner has had the car since 1992 and I think it might be an idea to get in touch with him when the car is finished as he obviously looked after it and enjoyed it for 140k.

sutol

All new parts now fitted and motor ready for clutch and gearbox

post-9302-1205162072.jpg.............post-9302-1205162039.jpg

Got to sort out clutch ass and gearbox tomorrow. - If its not too cold I'll clean the box off before fitting, if not it's goin in as it is :)

post-9302-1205162009.jpg

sutol

New NGKs in

post-9302-1205354571.jpg

Exhaust manifold on

post-9302-1205354558.jpg

Baffled sump fitted

post-9302-1205354536.jpg

New oil filter and engine off frame and hanging from roof ;)

post-9302-1205354517.jpg

All captions out of order but hey :unsure:

Edited by sutol

sutol

Just spent 135 quid at Autofive on braided brake hoses and some coolant hoses so will modify cost list tomorrow.

Tomorrow the engine and box are joining up and I'm going to fit some hoses to the engine ready for it to go in.

Was made very welcome at Autofive and given good advice, great place to shop. :(

Offside driveshaft is a bit dodgy so will be looking for a new one, I can see this project going over budget, I've red stuff pads to buy and god knows what else when the engine goes in.....hey ho :D

sutol
That's £ 610.00 up to now.

post-9302-1205695503.jpgpost-9302-1205695444.jpg

Balance forward.......................................................£ 610.00

Coolant hoses and braided brake hoses ....................£ 135.00

Diff oil seals............................................................£ 5.80

Turbo clutch and starter (salvaged from my old TD)...£ 0.00

1.6 Be1 gearbox (swapped for my old TD box)..........£ 0.00

Total to date.............£ 750.80

post-9302-1205695337_thumb.jpg

Turbo Diesel clutch assembly and starter fitted, 1.6 Be1 gearbox bolted on and alternator fitted.

Also fitted new diff oil seals whilst the engine is out.

It's getting there and I'm getting all excited now :) should be ready to go in once I've sourced and fitted a new offside driveshaft and decided which coolant hoses I need and which to blank off. :excl: Going to ask on here..

sutol

Good day today, done a bit and it's going so so. New fuel filter fitted while there is some space to work.

One of the heater hoses dosen't fit as the end that fits on to the bulkhead is too big, it's a shame because it fits round to the Mi thermostat housing perfect.

Going to need a new thermostat and an 'O' ring for the collar that holds the oil cooler pipe fittings to block.

Had to pinch the collar off the 1.9 engine so as I can have an oil cooler.

Gently does it..........

post-9302-1205785333.jpg

post-9302-1205785387.jpg

post-9302-1205785405.jpg

Waiting for a top mount

This hose is too big at the bulkhead end

sutol

Looking at costs today and worrying, its getting near to the thousand pound limit and I've not finished yet!!

Balance forward.......................................................£ 610.00

Coolant hoses and braided brake hoses ....................£ 135.00

Diff oil seals............................................................£ 5.80

Turbo clutch and starter (salvaged from my old TD)...£ 0.00

1.6 Be1 gearbox (swapped for my old TD box)..........£ 0.00

Total to date.............£ 750.80

Additional outlay today,

Balance so far.......£ 750.80

Red stuff EBC pads...............................................£ 56.00

New metal underwing water pipe............................£ 16.00 (not sure if there is vat on that)

Total so far.............£ 822.80.........still need top mount and some bits.

Going to blitz it this weekend and try and get it finished, I've got almost everything I need to get it rolling and the motor running if I can get it all to work, probobly hit a brick wall when I come to start it but hey, we can fix it!! :blush:

sutol

Managed to get discount on prices quoted for my last batch of parts so will adjust next time I add up costs.

Front brakes went on today with red EBC pads and goodridge braided hoses.

post-9302-1206050945.jpg

Also cleaned off and treated suface rust from under wheel arch and front valance and painted it.

post-9302-1206051037.jpg Might as well be right. :rolleyes:

Edited by sutol

sutol

Project in a nutshell

..post-9302-1206136669.gif.......lets build an Mi16 205

post-9302-1206136699.gif........all goes to plan

post-9302-1206136745.gif........buy wrong ECU and cant fit it

post-9302-1206136858.gif.........need ..??? whats best plan now

Have Mi16 +1.6 box fitted

Bought Motronic BX ecu and I have Jetronic system

do I need a loom ?

should I go with dizzy (got adaptor) ?

will the 1.9 injection run the Mi16 ?

running short of cash so need a cheap solution

project halted, should have done more research before I started :blush::(

jackherer

Get a 405 Mi16 or BX 16v loom. Dizzys with adaptors and 8v injection will give awful, unreliable results when a loom costs next to nothing and only needs a few wires to be joined up.

Count the rows of pins on your BX ECU, it will have two or three rows and you need to get a loom that has the same number of rows on its ECU plug.

sutol
Count the rows of pins on your BX ECU, it will have two or three rows and you need to get a loom that has the same number of rows on its ECU plug.

Managed to locate an Mi 16v loom to fit my ECU (thanks Baz) and job stopped whilst I get my arse in gear, decide what to do next and then do it.

The loom should be here next week so I suppose I should be piping up the water works and making a top mount. Missed one on fleabay, someone out bid me by a quid but I dont want to be spending 30 quid on a top mount really when I can make one up from scrap.

Baffled a sump one day this week for a 1.9 and made an oil pump baffle to go with it. The trapdoor works well and the other baffle bolts to the oil pump.

Didn't make a bad job actually and it may save someones engine on track one day.

Anyway, this thread gives me some incentive to get on with the Mi conversion so next week I will pipe up the waterworks and make a top engine mount, so hopefully there will be something to photograph and post in the name of progress.

Hardgraf

Good reading this mate.

Starting to plan an Mi16 conversion on my 1.6.

Don't have as good mechanical skills as you though so may need some help with the labour!

There's a company near me who quote £1500 all in. Good price?

Cheers

sutol
Starting to plan an Mi16 conversion on my 1.6.

Don't have as good mechanical skills as you though so may need some help with the labour!

There's a company near me who quote £1500 all in. Good price?

Cheers

If you can afford it and the car is right when you get it back (turnkey as they say) then it would save a lot of heartache if you dont have the facilities to do the job yourself, that is my opinion anyway. Seems a lot though, get a few quotes I'd say and go with those who know what they are doing.

The job isn't as easy as some make out as lots of little problems keep cropping up,....... straight swap ? :)

Here's where I'm up to with mine.............

Still waiting for the loom so did some pipes for the water.

Connected a new one with a bleed screw in it from the back of the block to the top heater pipe on the bulkhead.

Connected a big pipe from the back of the block to the bottom of the header tank (expansion tank).

Didn't have one for the bottom heater pipe on the bulkhead to the Mi thermostat housing as the one I bought had the wrong end so I used one from a scrap Saxo VTR engine which fitted perfect

It goes from here

post-9302-1207422773.jpg

To here

post-9302-1207422793.jpgNice fit don't ya think ?

And I also spotted that the car has had a replacement master cylinder so one less thing to worry about

post-9302-1207423060.jpgAs seen from underneath the car

Next job during the week is to remove the old engine bay loom, the hard bit is to undo it from under the dash as I have never done it before so here's hoping it's easy. I'll push the bits from inside the car into the engine bay and retrieve it from there I think.

Be3 clutch pedal and Be1 gearbox.....cable wont fit !

The cluch cable I bought won't fit the pedal end and it's a pain to get at so I wont be converting that end, instead I'll swap it for the correct cable for the car with a Be3 gearbox end ( mine's a Be1) and convert the box end which is easier.

Managed to make a top mount and it fits but may need some final tweaking when the engine is placed where it should be after loom and pipework are all done.

Some progress then, another week and we should be nearly there :D

Can't sort the downpipe until the engine is in so I'll have to leave that as well :)

sutol

Blew the dust off the car yesterday and decided to finish it.

Made up a downpipe with a six inch flexi piece in it to prevent manifold cracking ( I hope ) put it with the rest of the exhaust until I sort the interior and dash wiring out.

Also some bits of trim to reinstate so the way I work, should be ready to wire the engine in sometime next month, but hey, it's progress :blush:

BusEngineer

Glad to see you've started this again, will be starting mine sometime between now and the end of time!!! :blush:

How come theres such a big break? If you dont mind me asking