• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

[engine_work] Posh Track Car Project For Under £1000

sutol

Well, the engine and box are out to make space for Mi and I've cleaned the carpets and refitted the rear seats after giving them a clean and feeding the leather.

Photos are rubbish but I'm getting a new camera for my birthday soon, it's a big one, the birthday I mean so the camera had better be good :o

post-9302-1198948793_thumb.jpg

Carpets are mint and were not very dirtypost-9302-1198948872_thumb.jpgpost-9302-1198949041_thumb.jpg

I know we've seen it all before but I have to start somewhere and I'm very pleased with it up to now.

The 50quid doner car is turning out to be a little gem with zero wear to the carpets and a brilliant interior all round, the back part of the interoir is now complete and I'm leaving the front seats out for now in case of any problems under the dash area when I fit the engine and box. One of the front seats needs a litttle stitching and they both need to be soaked in leather food for a while to supple them up a bit.

Even though it is to be a track toy in the short term I intend to sell later on in the year so I want to leave the car complete as a 1.9 GTI with full leather and Mi16 + six speed box.

The car has been lowered at the rear so I will check that over later and fit lowering springs to the front to level it up a bit, or down a bit I suppose.

Well, I've gotten started at last and intend to do a bit every day if I can so next week I should be a little further on.

Must add up the cost so far as I'm going to finish it for £999 or less :(

MrG

good luck with keeping it all on budget. How did you come across a decent 1.9 for £50?

sutol
good luck with keeping it all on budget. How did you come across a decent 1.9 for £50?

Some one traded it in to the local PUG dealer who didn't want it 'cause it wouldn't run (dizzy cap)

paul205mi16

That carpet is clean indeed!

sutol
That carpet is clean indeed!

Bit of '1001 troubleshooter ultra' and a carper shampooer with attatchments, took about 15 mins and it took all the dark bits out from under the seat runners etc. Quite suprised really as the carpets were not that dirty.

Started cleaning the passenger seat today ready for its leather feed treatment

Doner seats

post-9302-1199039719.jpg

post-9302-1199039861.gif Luvely Jubbely.

MrG

carpets in these appear very hard wearing, maybe it was treated in something as an extra when new?

sutol

Guess what arrived today...........?

:wacko::ph34r::)

post-9302-1199476660_thumb.jpg

sutol

Fitted off side front sport spring today B)

Not getting very far, doing too much for other peaple, never mind I'm making progress despite having lost half of my spring compressor set, had to make one out of an old jack :D

Still not bad.. springs came in at 35 quid trade including vat so I'm happy :blush:

sutol

Been too cold and wet, what do yer think BRRRRR.

Going to do a rundown of costs so far.

Car....1.9 205 GTI with 9 months test on 'H'plate..............£ 50.00....(non runner / non sunroof) :)

Secondhand Mi16............................................................£ 350.00...(was robbed)

Six speed box.................................................................£ 200.00..(was robbed again)

Sport front lowering springs.............................................£ 35.00..(good value - trade)

Second hand BX ECU.......................................................£ 20.00...(pleased with that)

That's £ 655.00 up to now.

Checked today and need discs and pads so I think standard discs and some fast road pads should do it.

By the way...no power steering B) and should I ditch the servo ?

Also going to fit braided hoses all round

Going well so far I think and can't see any reason why it shouldn't come in on budget, hope so anyway.

Can't think of anything I need expensive to finish but something probably will come up. :)

Edited by sutol

sutol
Going to do a rundown of costs so far.

Car....1.9 205 GTI with 9 months test on 'H'plate.(+taxed)..£ 50.00....(non runner / non sunroof) :)

Secondhand Mi16............................................................£ 350.00...(was robbed)

Six speed box.................................................................£ 200.00..(was robbed again)

Sport front lowering springs.............................................£ 35.00..(good value - trade)

Second hand BX ECU.......................................................£ 20.00...(pleased with that)

That's £ 655.00 up to now.

Right, fitted N/S Front sport spring today and removed part of the gear linkage. Going to make a quickshift tomorrow by following Sonofsams excellent guide.

not spent anymore money :)

Edited by sutol

sutol

Costs so far

Car....1.9 205 GTI with 9 months test on 'H'plate..............£ 50.00....(non runner / non sunroof) ;)

New standard front discs by Lockheed...............................£ 40.00 (includes drill bit)

That's £ 695.00 up to now.

New front discs today, just need to make a template and drill the holes in them and we'll have some posh stoppers.

I've included the price of a drill bit in the cost and rounded it up to £40, not bad but sure I could have got them cheaper. :)

Anyway, quickshift done and ready to modify the bulkhead for Mi exhaust. Need a photo off someone or praps I'll just bash it in :D:D

sutol

Right, going to dimple the discs because the problem with drilling is that it is difficult to miss the casting that's in the vented bit with the drill and keep the holes even at the same time. Busted the belt on me stand drill so having to wait for a replacement B)

Cant decide which way to match motors on two projects.

Mi with 1.6 box

1.9 with 6 speeed box

or other way round. Mi for road and track, 1.9 for track only.

Any suggestions. :D

good project, a tad lucky with the donor car though so your budget has had a little help!

couple of things

did i read in a post you are thinking of ditching the brake servo? or did i misinterpret that

and you are -pillar drilling- holes in your brake discs? is that just random or have you got some sort of template made

Edited by 205007

sutol
good project, a tad lucky with the donor car though so your budget has had a little help!

couple of things

did i read in a post you are thinking of ditching the brake servo? or did i misinterpret that

and you are -pillar drilling- holes in your brake discs? is that just random or have you got some sort of template made

Did want to ditch the servo but for the short term and to get on the road quicker I will leave it in for now.

The hole drilling in the discs with a pillar drill has also gone out the window because;-

1. I cant get a new belt for my pillar drill so its out of action

2. After much discussion and research have decided that it isn't nessesary

So the template which took me half a day to work out and cut to size is going in the wood burner. :D

Going to start again on the project after a short recesion to acumulate some cash.. Off now to relieve my Gentry of its front calipers as I am informed that they are 1.6 GTI brakes.

base-1

Very unneccessary, you'll end up cracking new discs when you get them hot. 1.6 calipers aren't as good as 1.9, don't change them

Don't remove the servo unless you're going to go proper pedal box, no point

danpug

What he said^^. Sounds like you've done well for your money, £50 for a 1.9 in any condition is a bargain.

sutol

Well, after a trip to my Mums with all my tools I found that the Gentry has 1.9 vented front brakes so it looks like I'll be using 1.9s after all.

Going to get some recon calipers for the front and braided hoses all round so that should be done by next week. :)

The camera I was promised for my birthday never arrived so I'm going to have to buy one :D

Will be starting on the engine soon and not sure whether to stick new rings and shells in it or risk it. Going to baffle the sump because its a cool thing to do and I can brag about it.

Probably looking at 150 quid for calipers, pads and braided hoses so I'll let you know in a weeks time. :(

keith

ditch the power steering if your only using it on track imo.

hoody_g

The gentry has 1.9 calipers abd 1.6 discs. So you will have the wider track on the front due to the 1.6 offset.

Graeme

sutol
ditch the power steering if your only using it on track imo.

Power Steering ?? its not got any !! or a sunroof :ph34r:

Graeme Explain wider track

I was going to use the calipers off my Gentry (using it for bits ) as I thought they were the 1.6 ones but as you say they are 1.9.

I could use 1.6 hubs and shafts if that would be an advantage.

I can't see why 1.6 calipers are inferior to 1.9 as the pads are about the same area , am I missing something.?

jackherer
I can't see why 1.6 calipers are inferior to 1.9 as the pads are about the same area , am I missing something.?

They wear really badly whereas 1.9 ones go on forever. They are much lighter than 1.9 calipers though.

casnell
They wear really badly whereas 1.9 ones go on forever. They are much lighter than 1.9 calipers though.

I've just gone 1.6-1.9, much better

sutol

Right..................going to try 1.6 calipers as I already have some yellow EBC pads that will fit.

Will try them out on the track in a couple of months time and report back, they will be in tip top condition with braided hoses and well cooled via ducting so should get to know if they are any good.

If they aren't up to the job then they can be sold with the car later this year and I will use 1.9 calipers on the Gentry when that is turned into a track car.

I have decided to use a 1.6 gearbox on this car so I can deduct the 200 quid I spent on the six speeder from the budget total, that gearbox can be used in the Gentry with the 1.9 engine I ripped out of this project car to make room for the Mi.

Too many choices here I think with 150 quid spent buying two cars and 550 spent on 1 engine and 1 gearbox, it's hard to decide what is the best combination for each vehicle.

we have,

1.9 GTI complete with MOT

Gentry, stood for two years with no engine and box

Mi16 and six speed box bought in

Some parts left off scrap 1.8 205 TD

Will need to have a think before putting anything back together. :):ph34r:

sutol

Just been quoted 50 quid each for front calipers exchange :D:o

Dya think thats a lot or am I being mean :);)

danpug

Stuff that, theres a pair of 306 calipers in the for sale section for 25 quid. 247mm disc setup.