• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
barney

Max Head Skim

barney

Anybody measured clearances before to work out on a standard engines what maxium skim you can get away with on a 1.6 BE6 engine.

Oli

welshpug

Haynes states maximum skim is 0.20 MM, but I'm sure you can skim more than that.

wardy18

PM Damir on this forum, he's the person to speak to as he's looked heavily into this and has diagrams of where to measure from etc

ive been told my a couple of 205 Motorsport companies that the most you can take off a XU9 head is 60 thou without causing it to start detonating or any other problems

but its worth measuring your head first as its bound to of had minor skims before for head gaskets etc, i think im going to take off 50 thou on my race engine just to be safe

rescue dude

When my 1.9 was built we had about 30 thou taken off iirc.

Makes for good compression and pops nicely on the over run at about 2000 rpm. :lol:

welshpug

how much is 30thou in metric? :lol::rolleyes:

wardy18

yes thats right its 0.762mm

borken down a bit more its 3 hundreds of an inch

DamirGTI

Hello !

Heres the doc. regarding how to measure the head from top to bottom :

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/Pie...rrent=19l8v.jpg

As for the maxi. head skim i really don't know how much it can be skimmed down , but anyway i don't like to skim the head if higher CR is your desired destination id rather fit different pistons in order to raise the CR (and even if you don't like the end result you can always pull them out and fit back the standard pistons .. can't do that with skimmed head do you :o ..)

Cheers ! :(

Damir

barney

Have regs to work with though and have to use standard pistons.

Oli

wardy18

what regs are you governed by?!

ive spent so many hours tryin to sort out the regs in the msa blue book with what i can and cant do the engine for my class, finally gettin somewhere thou, jus waitin for a letter back from them now

barney

Hi,

750mc Stock Hatch regs. I've built loads of 205 engines before etc just never come across problem. Its about 3-4 teeth out, will try and get photos up on tuesday.

Oli

osama

Guy's im just wondering what advantages there are to skimming the head? and how easy it is to do? how much will it cost to get done?

thanks

osama

Mattsav

0.060" is safe, we've taken 0.080" off before when we were struggling for compression but I wouldn't recomend it.

Dont forget that the more you machine off the head, the more you retard the cam timing which is never a good thing.

djinuk

ive just had my headgasket done on my 1.9 gti, hes took about 28 thou of, will i have any problems with timing etc?

Sign in to follow this