• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trialster

I Need Help With Gear Linkages

trialster

hey, before i start i'm just going to say im new to the forum. my names Will, im from north wales, i study in swansea and im a big fan of 205's!

thats the boring stuff out of the way.

i was just after a quick explination of how the linkages of a 205 box works. im aware that a rod is used from the gearbox for upwards and downwards movement, ie. for 3rd to 4th. I was wondering how exactly the gearbox knows when you push the lever over to 1st and 2nd or 5th and reverse. is it a twisting action? is it the slight sideways motion of the gearlever?

i did a search but come out with nothing.

a quick explanation would be nice :(

thanks!

Will

Edited by trialster

Sandy

The rod that bolts to the gear lever performs this. It twists as the lever is moved sideways, it has a pivot on the subrame (ball and socket), where the action is converted to a sideways push/pull of the lever on top of the gearbox.

Miles

It's worth checking that the ball on the subframe isn;t wobbling around as most do, Stick a Larger washer and Nyloc nut on it and it will be good for year's to come.

trialster

its a twisting motion, thats all i needed to know B)

cheers

MrG

Miles thats interesting as the one I've just bought has this problem. Is this fix done from inside or underneath?

Masekwm
Miles thats interesting as the one I've just bought has this problem. Is this fix done from inside or underneath?

Under the car and look through the centre of the subframe, you need a 13mm socket and tighten it up, you'll need a spanner above the subframe to stop it turning

MrG

thank you, much appreciated.

Masekwm
thank you, much appreciated.

I had the same problem with mine, 1st and 2nd were on the passenger side

osama

yeh, theres a hidden bolt for the linkage that sometimes gets loose. I tightened mine and things were improved. But i think the extent of my movement is due to replacement rods being needed!

Sign in to follow this