• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Brake Fluid? Which Type And How Much?

Ben

Got braided hoses for crimbo so I'm going to fit them today but how much brake fluid do I need and which type?

I've got a couple of litres of DOT4, will this be ok?

Cheers

Edited by Ben

Anthony

So long as you don't end up having to re-bleed it several times, a litre is normally fine and two will be plenty.

DOT4 is fine for road use, but if you'll be using the car on track I'd spend the extra couple of quid and get Super-DOT4 / DOT5.1.

sutol

I agree with anthony and you will find that with braided hoses, decent fluid and pads, that you braking will be transformed and you will be hard pushed to fade the brakes even on the track. They may get hot and loose some efficiency but you will always have a pedal.

Invest in an Easybleed and bleed them in a few minutes yourself, great tool. :)

Spelling again :)

Edited by sutol

James_R

AP551 or halfrauds 5.1 only downside is how often you have to change it then :)

daveyboyblack

I've just invested in some RBF600 as it's got a good reputation. It was the only fluid apart from Castrol SRF that was able to stop our Formula Student car from overheating, despite how much abuse we threw at it!

That said, unless you're planning on taking it on track, then pretty much any racing dot 4 should work pretty well in conjunction with the braided hoses.

Dave

edthedrummer

can you just put a better dot number in your car without changing anything?

Ben

i believe DOT 3,4 and 5.1 can be mixed but DOT 5 cant be because its silicon based

Chris H

Use a super dot4 not a dot5.1

The way the fluid reacts with heat is totally different and a dot 5.1 will take a lot of heat but once its boiled the air stays in susspension in the fluid in tiny bubbles and a dot4 its in big bubles which area easy bled out.

Dot 5.1 is ideal as a fit and forget fluid that works well at higher temps but once its cooked its had its life!

All the competition fluids are to a DOT 4 standard!

I have used Motul RBF 600, Brembo LCF, and Lucas Grand Prix which all have worked very well but i'm not sure the lucas stuff is still avalible.

Halfords now sell and own brand racing brake fluid....that could be worth a try.

osama

dot 4 is actually the best, technically dot 5.1 absorbs water..which is not what we want... and dot 4 i find is more consistant on my highly noticable disc brakes on my pushbike!...i just topped my dot 4 up yesterday!

gtimon

Now that its that time of year where we all are getting ready for the track days. I've got some AP600 fluid, but now having read the back in the small print, it states " should not be used with Magnesium Cylinders or Reservoirs".

Has the Pugs any Magnesium in their braking system or should I change to a lower spec Dot to be sure.??

Chris H

AP600 should be fine in your 205, i can't think of anything that would have mag parts.

Guest rs-tone

I use ATE Super Blue in the rallycar

Merc and Porsche approved and used in DTM

Sign in to follow this