• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-si

Bastarding Rust And Rusted On Bumper Bolts

gti-si

Right, today I went about the inexpensive (so I thought) task of replacing a headlight. Now, I knew there was some inner wing rust, but i've been abit of a prat about it and neglected *sp* it. Well once I had the n/s headlight removed I found quite abit of rot. It's not falling to pieces and im pretty sure 90% is still solid, but it needs immediate action.

I was planning (against advice) to go with a GTi-6 engine conversion towards the end of January, but, I think this has pushed me into making the sensible choice. I was going to convert the engine, then sort brakes and suspension in april, along with any minor body issues.

Once I saw the rust today, I immediatly stuck the car on axel stands and began dismantling the front end. In the hour or so before dark I managed to get the front stripped to pretty much the front bumper. This included the use of an angle grinder and about 20 thousand snapped bolts (more like 4) :blush: . I came to abit of a head with the bumper, i've removed the valance. I managed to get the two bolts off holding it to the two front brackets but the offside bolt just turn and makes crunchy noises and the nearside wont budge at all. Any ideas where I go from there? (new to this).

I've pretty much got my mind set now and the body work needs fixing. Im gonna try and get hold of an engine crane tomorrow and get the 8v out so I can see whats what. I'll start getting rid of the rust then.

Im half thinking of stripping the shell (I know theres some rust under the rear seats and the boot floor), its just a question of how much is two much? What would you advice? Ive got a good 3 weeks with nothing planned.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, an i'm hoping to get this into project mode. This peugeot really deserves it (im sure GLPoo will be as happy as I will be about that one). So yeah, if anyones got any advice about the bumper that would be great.

Cheers,

Si

Tom Fenton

Either knock on a 6-point 13mm socket and try and either undo or shear off, or otherwise cut them off with yea angle grinding machine.....

Have a look for a thread started by me about my track car build, I had to reconstruct the inner wing and also fit a new headlamp panel, may be useful for you to see what is what.

ajm-e30

get some loctite freeze-release on the stuborn bolts, it works wonders really quickly

sutol

It helps to wire brush the exposed threads and WD40them or similar before starting to undo. Sometimes though, they are destined to snap off :blush:

gti-si

I am going to find it easy to source new bolts? That may be a very stupid question, but you never know, the crazy french and all....

If not I'll grind them off, it makes no odds, i wont be using the bolts again.

ajm-e30

im pretty sure you can get new bolts from the stealers mate

GLPoomobile

This is bad news Si :blush: You've made the same mistake as I did, ignoring the problem, but unfortunately that won't make it go away :D I know there was some surface rust down near the headlights but as I never had cause to remove them I have no idea what condition it was in down on the front panels.

I had the same problems with the bumper bolts on my first GTi (the only one I ever removed the bumpers from). IIRC I just drilled through the head until the flat snapped off and I could pull the bolt out from behind.

gti-si

Well, it's bad news in that it's there. But good news that it's put me on the right track. It's not all that bad, not good, but fixable. Im just gonna empty the engine bay as soon as I can. If the rust is staring me in the face, i'll sort it. Plus, all these threads popping up of full restores make me feel inspired!

Do you think it's a bad idea stripping the interior out and checking the whole shell? Or is it biting off more than I can chew? I am a n00b with body work, and mechanics to be fair but I'd view myself as handy with a spanner.

Im pretty happy though, i've made the first step into sorting all the little niggles out, just so happens some aren't as "little" as they were 9 months ago :blush:. No one to blame but myself, I was warned.

Thanks for the thread tom, has helped me quite abit. Fantastic work you've done there.

Another thing, the battery tray is part of the gearbox mount right? It can't be removed? That is the rustiest part on the car

Tom Fenton

Surface rust is one thing, rot to the point of disintegrating panels is another. 205 battery trays are usually rusty looking superficially but pretty sound structurally, get at it with a wire brush on an angle grinder and it will soon be looking better.

ajm-e30

if you have access to a compressor then use an air grinder with a wire wheel on it to remove the crusty bits

gti-si

YEah, i've got access to a compressor and some air grinders down at the workshop but I think it'll be abit of a mission trying to move it all, and I cant really get the car up there. A drill and some wire wool attachments will have to suffice

Peetypug

the main place i found rust inside ny car was under the rear seats above the fuel tank :P

it cant be seen from under it when getting an mot but its still gona be there

if your contemplating it, then you might as well do it.

you may end up in the same boat as you are with the front end now

Leon

78.jpg

That's how I removed mine.

Got impatient and had a spare bumper anyway!

Jrod

I always tighten those bolts until they shear as it always ends up turned and taking chunks out of the bumper.

Also check behind your rearlights as I've seen rust there before.

GLPoomobile
I always tighten those bolts until they shear as it always ends up turned and taking chunks out of the bumper.

Also check behind your rearlights as I've seen rust there before.

Just to set your mind at ease Si, I had both rear light clusters off when I was cleaning the car up prior to you collecting it, and as far as I can remember there was no rust at all back there.

Also, I remember the battery tray being quite crusty, but it was still solid and just needed cleaning up. I'd be surprised if it had deteriorated significantly since then. They always look bad on the tray but it's usually just surface rust.

Good luck getting it all sorted out. Can't wait for you to get the 6 conversion done too :P

gti-si

Well Leon, yeah, I second that notion...

21122007224om5.jpg

That was the driving lamp bracket...I figured i'd rather buy a new one than piss about with the rustick bolts any longer. The bumper might end up getting the same treatment tomorrow...

Cheers, Steve, thats one less worry. I cleaned the battery tray up today and it was just superficial. I'm gonna press on tomorrow and if I can get a crane, get the engine out asap. I am going to have to 6 conversion done eventually but it's bad to worse. There is some laquer peel on the roof, well thats rapidly becoming a problem. Ice decided to form inbetween the laquer and paint and obviously, as it expanded, the laquer peel has spread quite abit. Im half wondering to turn this into a full restore project, very very tempted.

I spent most of the day wiring up and cleaning out the garage. I now have a small but adequate garage to work in, with heat and light :angry:. Rather productive day. Will start taking pictures and get another thread going I think

Edited by gti-si

Sign in to follow this