• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest matty D

Mi16 Rebuild

Guest matty D

Hi all, this is my first post here (apart from the intro one). Im the proud new owner of an Mi16 engined Gti :angry:

Only problem is, I took it to Bedford at the weekend and the big end went. What started as a knocking noise that increased with revs, soon turned into the sound of metal shattering and a completely dead car :D

Now, Im a mechanical numpty so dont flame me for asking what is probably a stupid question, but does this sound like it can be rebuilt, or will I likely be needing a new engine?

Are Mi16 engines easy to find (if so where and how much£)?

Is there a reputable company that can do the work for me in the South of England (nearer to Swindon the better)?

Anyway TIA!

Matt

James_m

You will need a new/reground crankshaft, and a new rod. Really, you may as well rebuild the whole thing, or what i would personally do, just get hold of another engine.

The engines are quite frequent on ebay, and prices vary quite a bit. Take a look.

Ps, do a search for mi16 oil surge :angry:

Miles

Good Mi's that have been rebuild to a good standard are very hard to find, There's loads of cr*p out there with many a 80k engine come up but take that with a pinch of salt, Best thing is find a cheap one and be prepaired to spend allot of money on rebuilding it or find a GTi6 engine etc and stick that in, Much more info can be found by looking around the site

Guest matty D

Thanks for the replies guys!

If I were to look out for another engine and then spend the money getting it rebuilt, would I not be better off just rebuilding the engine Ive got?

Cheers,

Matt

M_R_205

Id say yes but its best to take yours apart see what the damage is and go from there, may not be as bad as you think, or it may be worse....

maturin23

Hi Matty

Welcome to the board - it's crack cocaine of car forums :angry:

If I were in your position (and looking to take the car on track) I wouldn't even consider rebuilding the Mi16.

I'd get a GTI6 engine in there without a doubt. More modern, more robust and more torque.

Guest matty D
Hi Matty

Welcome to the board - it's crack cocaine of car forums :angry:

If I were in your position (and looking to take the car on track) I wouldn't even consider rebuilding the Mi16.

I'd get a GTI6 engine in there without a doubt. More modern, more robust and more torque.

Yes it will be purely a track car. Being new to pugs Ive never heard of the GTI6, (nor the Mi16 prior to buying it).

Would it be a straight forward conversion? And what are the pros and cons compared to the Mi16? Are they more powerful/tunable?

What sort of power output can you get from a GTI6 and still retain reliability?

Sorry for all the questions, and your right this does seem like a crackin forum!

Miles

For sure have a search on Oil Surge and you will find that they do suffer from it and big end bearing failure these days too.

Not what you really want to hear I know.

Again not that long ago there was a post on the GTi6 conversion, But this is not quite as straight forward as the trusted Mi conversion, but they are more of a evo version of the Mi but with a Iron block

Sign in to follow this