• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

Mi16 Rebuild

clifton

got an mi16 engine today and started to rebuild it....

just wondering what most people replace on them?

also is there a rebuild guide anywhere because i dont really fancy searchin through the 52 pages a search returned?

im going to replace the water pump, timing belt, tensioners, headgasket...anything else or what should i be checking over on the engine?

cheers

ben

Pugnut

if your on a tight budget and are unsure of the engine condition then you should at least swap out the big end bearings.

nick

Big ends, Mains.....

Anything you can afford to do really while it is out.

Nick

Tom Fenton

Rod bolts. I've seen the results of a failed rod bolt on an Mi16 and its not pretty!!

clifton

also how do i even tell which mi16 engine ive got?

which engine numbers go with with engine? or is there any other ways i can tell which engine it is i have?

thanx

ben

Pugnut

its either be D6C or DFW . the former being the early high compression engine 160bhp, the latter the lower comp cat version 155 bhp.

it will be on a tag riveted to the top rear of the block

clifton
its either be D6C or DFW . the former being the early high compression engine 160bhp, the latter the lower comp cat version 155 bhp.

it will be on a tag riveted to the top rear of the block

i think its d6c...so would that one be the earlier high comp 160 bhp engine?

which car would this of come out of so then i know which car to say if they ask when im ordering parts?

Mikey S
i think its d6c...so would that one be the earlier high comp 160 bhp engine?

which car would this of come out of so then i know which car to say if they ask when im ordering parts?

405 mi16 to 1992 or bx 16v.

M@tt

in terms of rebuiild guide your best bet is to get a 405 haynes manual that will give you all the correct torque settings etc (cheap off amazon market place or ebay)

there is also a mi16 guide pdf, i dont think i've got a link here @ work but i'll dig it out later. Its more of a technical spec for the Mi16 than a step by step rebuild guide but might be work a look.

its worth taking laods of pictures before you start so you can refer to them when you don't know where that remaining pipe or handfull of bolts go that you took off :D

clifton

yeh that would be great if you could try find the link!

and yeh ive been taking a few pictures of where stuff goes!

does anybody have a part number and price of the main bearings i think it is...that sit at the bottom of the conrod in the 2 half moon bits...sorry for crap discription my minds gone blank of the name.

mite sound abit stupid :blush: but how do i know if its a 1.9 or 2.0 mi16 engine ive got?

thanx

ben

Edited by clifton

Pugnut
yeh that would be great if you could try find the link!

and yeh ive been taking a few pictures of where stuff goes!

does anybody have a part number and price of the main bearings i think it is...that sit at the bottom of the conrod in the 2 half moon bits...sorry for crap discription my minds gone blank of the name.

mite sound abit stupid :blush: but how do i know if its a 1.9 or 2.0 mi16 engine ive got?

thanx

ben

D6C is 1905cc

QEP are normally recommended for engine components

http://www.q-e-p.co.uk

M3Evo

Didn't someone have the Pug rebuild manual kicking about somewhere?

Used this when rebuilding Stu's engine, was very useful for getting the liner protrusions right and things like that. Do have to ignore the many special tools it wants you to use though :blush:

M@tt

Mi16 Rebuild Manual Here (CLICK ME)

Haynes 405 Manual Here (CLICK ME)

HTH

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this