• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLumley

[rally_prep] 205 Tarmac Rally Car - N/a And 274bhp

Sam

Did Paul try them on the 306?

pdd144c

Not yet Sam, will hopefully get them on yours by the weekend, didn't get time the other night.

cybernck

all the topics about this build merged together and topic moved to Projects section! :rolleyes:

JamesLumley

Thanks Nik for sorting a project thread!

Not much to report this week, have been buying various new bits ready for the build.

The car is now back in my garage at home, just finalising the location of various brackets which still need welding in before she goes off for interior paint.

New Pirelli tyres to check fitment of the wheels...

Newtyres.jpg

Have also ordered a custom ally radiator and custom ally header tank.

JamesLumley

Couple more pics of yet another front bumper on the current car, getting her finished off ready for the Brean rally at the end of this month. No time to fit the brake ducts but stages are only short and ambient temps are usually around freezing so overheating shouldn't be an issue.

This will be her last time out before the new shell build starts... (yes I've been saying that for the last 2 years but it really is the case this time!)

DSCN1978.jpg

DSCN1991.jpg

jackherer

I don't think that can really be called a bumper anymore :)

Got any interior pics?

JamesLumley

That's the only one I can find on my work computer - everything will be much neater in the new shell!

DSCN2000.jpg

felix2566

Amazing project James!

Some how had missed it and read the whole thing yesterday, looks like it will be fun.

I was wondering where did you get your arches from?

osama

i only just spotted it too! insane! would be interested to find out how many pennys you spent :)

JamesLumley

Felix - the arches are from a seller called "mel northern line" on ebay, they are still listed now and again, mine will be redundant on the new shell but probably not any use for someone else as I've repaired them a number of times!

Osama - I daren't add up all my receipts...suffice to say it was originally a car or mortgage...well you can't drive a house but if needs must you can sleep in a car! That's the story I gave my misus when I first got into rallying and it worked for me! The new car will be insured for a figure starting with a 4 :)

Edited by JamesLumley

JamesLumley

Latest task is to overhaul the seals in my 4pots as the nearside caliper had developed a leak.

All the parts arrived from the states today so I've given the calipers a quick clean up ready to change the seals and bleed nipples.

DSCN2206.jpg

DSCN2207.jpg

DSCN2212.jpg

Spiky

firstly, can i have your engine...lol

what a monster

your oil coolers, i think you should move them, and convert to 1, i run a 16 row 235X115, and personnaly think this is over spec, for mine, but i think is ideal for yours, and if moved to a area behind the old fog location with proper venting, would be sufficent for you, this will then free up space for your rad to have better cooler,

if two fans cant keep the temp down at idle, you MUST have a cooling issue, and i expect it's either the rad is blocked, and/or the oil coolers are restricting the flow,

think i'd move the fuel pump too, dont think i'd like it in there, with all the heat

otherwise, hope to see you at a track day or something :huh:

JamesLumley

I hear what you're saying but having tried various locations with a single cooler we haven't been able to keep the temps under control.

It isn't at every event, more so just in the middle of summer when ambient temps are 80-90 degrees. (plus the radiation off the hot tarmac)

I also don't want to run coolers in the front corners as they have a habit of getting smashed - most vulnerable points on a rally car.

Rad is a new quality ally one and definately not blocked! Fans are uprated reverse pull and flow more air than the std pug ones - again in the middle of the summer, sitting on hot tarmac for 25 mins at a time, nose to tail with other red hot cars with a sumpguard etc - it's difficult to get the air flowing in and out of the engine bay.

I've got a different layout planned on the new car along with a larger capacity bespoke radiator so it will be interesting to see how the cooling copes.

Fuel pump location was a quick "handy spot" to mount it as I happened to have some braided pipe around that length. On the new car, all 4 pumps will be relocated out of the engine bay.

More updates soon...

Spiky

glad you didn't take offence to my comments, as what just saying what i though :)

cool

could you run the coolers behind the enginem, with ducts from the sump gaurd???

brumster

On the cooling side of things, I've wondered about this. The sump guard I suspect blocks off the biggest escape route for warm air and I suspect the only remaining exit points are out the sides of it, and out through the trailing edge of the bonnet and over the windscreen. I'd love access to a wind tunnel :)

Has anyone ever tried bonnet vents at the rearward end of the panel, and exit-biased rather than scoops, so allow the hot air out of the engine bay? Maybe some WRC-style side exit ones? I'm talking from a functional point of view, not a styling aspect.

I suspect this might aid my cooling and also cold air feed into the TB's by ensuring hot air has a way out (one thing I learnt from my kit-car days building rear-engined GTMs was all the air going in in the world won't make a blind bit of difference if it can't get out!).

Craigb
Has anyone ever tried bonnet vents at the rearward end of the panel, and exit-biased rather than scoops, so allow the hot air out of the engine bay? Maybe some WRC-style side exit ones? I'm talking from a functional point of view, not a styling aspect.

This method tends to fall foul of the scrutineers though , its the same effect in their eyes as removing the rubber strip at the rear of the bonnet .

When we were rallying the maestro in the middle east we tried rasing the rea of the bonnet by putting in spacers between the hrear hinges and the bonnet . it brought the temp way down . but guess what ? The FIA Scrute saw it and told us to put it back to standard .

One way aroind it is to block all the air intakes in the scuttle area and then put the vents in. As long as you can prove that no fuel or flame can be pulled into the interior , it will pass .

brumster

Interesting. Is this why some of the WRC cars, like the Focus in particular, have what look like long side-exiting slots on the sides of the bonnet? I wonder if these would be more acceptable (but still a grey area with some scrut's I suspect)...

JamesLumley

My quick release FG bonnet is mounted at the rear using modified std hinges which basically allows me to move the bonnet height up and down instantly.

Does seem to make a different when moving but if you lift it too much then the effect doesn't work.

Have also been sitting at a stage start when a scruiteneer has gone mental as he hadn't seen the adjustable bonnet earlier in the day :unsure:

As you say, a wind tunnel is the only way for sure to tell what works

stuart
This method tends to fall foul of the scrutineers though , its the same effect in their eyes as removing the rubber strip at the rear of the bonnet.

Is it actually illegal to remove this rubber strip then?

I'm currently building a 1600 rally car at the moment and have removed the strip to paint the bonnet. I have filled the hole for the heater (removed) so there is no way of fuel / oil getting into the interior - would this pass scruiteneering?

Stu

Craigb
Is it actually illegal to remove this rubber strip then?

I'm currently building a 1600 rally car at the moment and have removed the strip to paint the bonnet. I have filled the hole for the heater (removed) so there is no way of fuel / oil getting into the interior - would this pass scruiteneering?

Stu

Should pass if the heater hole is blocked off , if not the rubber strip has to be there !.

hman205

Can you add a Vent the bonnet or Wings at all ?

Batfink

hmm if you block the vent to the inside of the car then you could probably vent through the scuttle and out the wing.. a bit like the renault clio 197

dodsworth_gti

looking really good

i think you should put it on track some time against the oh so famous 'bic' :)

you should be able to do it!!

Batfink

bic has a similar engine now and a sequential gearbox but I think racing experience will be the thing that counts..

tom_m

last i saw of bics car it was being sold off in bits on ebay wasn't it?