• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu71

1.9 Gti Smoking Bad

Stu71

Hi my 1.9gti is smoking really bad then dying and won't restart, i have found is there is a lot of oil been forced up the oil filler and through the breathers and into the air intake, has anyone had this problem before or have an idea what it is ? p.s. before someone gets it in, i haven't filled it upto the top lol Thanks Stu

Mikey S
Hi my 1.9gti is smoking really bad then dying and won't restart, i have found is there is a lot of oil been forced up the oil filler and through the breathers and into the air intake, has anyone had this problem before or have an idea what it is ? p.s. before someone gets it in, i haven't filled it upto the top lol Thanks Stu

it sounds like excessive crankcase pressure, possibly down to worn piston rings. try doing a compression test as this will help ascertain what is actually wrong. if the compressions are down, try a tablespoon of oil down the plugholes. if the compressions rise after oil has been put down, it will be the rings at fault.

hth

Stu71
it sounds like excessive crankcase pressure, possibly down to worn piston rings. try doing a compression test as this will help ascertain what is actually wrong. if the compressions are down, try a tablespoon of oil down the plugholes. if the compressions rise after oil has been put down, it will be the rings at fault.

hth

nice one will try that tomorrow

Thanks

pip470

Also just make sure all the breathers are clear even the one from the rocker cover. I did a volvo turbo headgasket once and panicked when the crancase was presurising and pushing oil out from everywhere including the dipstick. I was thinking along the same lines about the piston rings thinking that id left some grit in the bores and that had made it wear very quickly, but i was getting worked up over nothing. It was just the breathers needed unblocking. Compression test or even better a leakdown test is always a good check to do though.

steve@cornwall

Is the oil really thin with a smell of petrol? Has the oil level risen on the dipstick at all?

(edit - just checked over your previous posts. above is symptoms of overfuelling, with fuel passing pstons into sump. eventually gets forced every which way - past rings into combustion chambers, through breathers etc. Drain flush and change oil - and filter. If it stops, change oil and filter again in a few days. As long as the fuelling is now sorted it should be ok for about 10K, but bore-wash has prob. killed the long term future of this engine)

Edited by steve@cornwall

Stu71

Top stuff yet again chaps, i will drain all the oil and clean out all the breathers and do a compression test, then kick the crap out of it lol

Thanks again Stu

Stu71

ok spent some time on it today and you was right the oil was like cat pee full of petrol so i draineded it, did a compression test and leak down test all were brill between 13 and just over 14 bar and no leak down at all, put new plugs and leads on it (cause i had them) checked all the breathers, all clear and rocker top (could blow through them), tryed two diffent sas (compete and coolant temp sensor but on start up after claning them up runs fine for about ten secounds then starts missing and smaking, there is fuel/oil every where, have you had trouble with the fuel pressure reg before? or any more ideas what it could be ? I'm getting a bit narked off with it now lol Thanks Stu p.s. did change the oil twice today and still getting ful in it

Edited by Stu71

Stu71

Ok chaps just to let you know sorted the missing and smoking, turned out to be the white wire from the afm snapped in 2, still smoked a bit so drained the oil and tryed again better but i think it will need another flush or 3 (run out of time), just noticed after i fixed it and before i drained the oil as soon as it got warm half way up the scale it started to cut out on tick over ( i haven't set up the afm or anything else) could this still be an over fueling problem ie the blue temp sensor ? thanks Stu

steve@cornwall
Ok chaps just to let you know sorted the missing and smoking, turned out to be the white wire from the afm snapped in 2, still smoked a bit so drained the oil and tryed again better but i think it will need another flush or 3 (run out of time), just noticed after i fixed it and before i drained the oil as soon as it got warm half way up the scale it started to cut out on tick over ( i haven't set up the afm or anything else) could this still be an over fueling problem ie the blue temp sensor ? thanks Stu

Phew! well done! What rpm does it idle at when cold? perhaps the idle is set too low and when the sad closes, it drops off!

Stu71

Cheers Steve and thanks for your help no dout i'll have a few more probs lol it probley will need a set up i think it was about just over a 1000 to 1100rpm

steve@cornwall
Cheers Steve and thanks for your help no dout i'll have a few more probs lol it probley will need a set up i think it was about just over a 1000 to 1100rpm

Set it to idle at about 1500 from cold- start by turning the screw on top of throttle body.Once the fan has cut in and out at idle, you can adjust hot idle to 1K the same way

Sign in to follow this