• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest WillR

Puddle Of Hydrolic Fluid Under Car

Guest WillR

Hi All,

When I've been parked up for a while - a few hours or more, a small puddle of fluid forms under the car. It appears underneath the drivers side of the engine bay. It is clear and has the consistency of brake fluid. The brake fluid resevoir is above the lower marker and pressed hard the brake pedal doesn't sink to the floor or speed the leak, but I am worried!

I have checked brake lines/hoses and by eye they seem OK. The resevoir itself doesn't seem to be leaking and I can't trace where the fluid is coming from.

Any ideas? I drive the car 50 miles per day - obviously whatever it is will run out eventually as it keeps leaking! Help! Should I stop driving it?

Will.

mikeyd

have you got power steering? if so then check reservoir

also it could be water /antifreeze as the pump is that end !

to test if its antifreeze taste a drop!!!if its sweet its antifreeze!!!mind you it is poisonous so dont try much !! :)

welshpug

I wouldn't taste it! a sniff is enough.

if you don't have Power Assisted steering I'd stop using the car immediately till the leak is found as its potentially very dangerous, i.e more dangerous than driving on bald tyres....

Guest WillR
have you got power steering? if so then check reservoir

also it could be water /antifreeze as the pump is that end !

to test if its antifreeze taste a drop!!!if its sweet its antifreeze!!!mind you it is poisonous so dont try much !! :)

Cheers - don't have power steering but the car does lose a little bit of coolant so maybe that's it. It seems a bit thick to be coolant but maybe it's partially evaporated by the time I notice it? There is a rubber pipe from the radiator which joins a metal pipe which looks quite corroded and is fairly close to where the puddle forms so maybe that is it!

oli-pug

That metal pipe is a common leakage point as it gets all the s*it from the road and corrodes. You can get a replacement from gsf or a pug dealer for £10-15.

Sign in to follow this