• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lukey

Turbo Technics

Guest lukey

I've just bought a turbo technics cionverted 1.9 gti... I'm taking her down to turbo technics in Northampton for blowing manifold gasket.. what are these guys like? Has anyone got any expereince of dealing with them and the work they do? Any info on the turbo technics conversion would be appreciated,

cheers Lukey

ORB

I think you will find that the gasket is more than easy to swap yourself. Have a go, get your paws dirty!

Guest lukey

Yeah I know what u mean.. I thought about it.. u know what they say.. it the thought that counts lol.

the turbo is in the way, old bolts might snap in the head.. and there shouldnt be a gasket there in the first place, turbo technics told be.

TEKNOPUG

Are you 100% certain that it's blowing from the gasket; not the manifold itself or any of the studs lose?

The reason that I say this is because as you have said, TT's shouldn't have a gasket. Which means at some time the manifold has already been off - most likely to work on the head. If a different head has been fitted, then it's almost certain that the exhausts stud holes weren't bored and tapped to accommodate M10 instead of M8 studs, leading to them being overtightened and failing due to the stress and the heat (snapping or stripping the thread) meaning that manifold will never seal properly and it'll blow……

Welcome to my world (ex)! Hey, maybe you even bought my old car…...

Guest lukey

I really dont know wheather or not the head has been done to fit the M10 bolts? gess i have to wait and see what the guys at turbo tecnics say..

any other info u can give me.. would be great ! thank you.

TEKNOPUG

Post some pics up of the car and the engine bay and post as much info as you have. I'd be surprised if no one on the forum recognises the car - is it the grey one from Kensington that was on PH recently?

I can’t diagnose problems via cyberspace really but I can tell you whether the work that the garage proposes is correct and whether there are other parts or work that should be done at the same time.

Guest lukey

Lol.. yes thats right! will get some pics up soon.

Where in north London are you? im in enfield,

TEKNOPUG

Finsbury Park

vern

Am I reading this right that you do not use a gasket between the head and turbo manifold?, I only ask as I have put some in, but the head will be coming off soon, how worth while is it drilling out the holes to M10?.

TEKNOPUG

There is no need to fit a gasket as it will seal perfectly without one provided that the two mating surfaces key wirth each (consider the amount of heat going through the manifold - it will seal). You can use a gasket from a Nissan (S13?) but I know that MadProf did that and they kept blowing - so pretty pointless I think. With the heat going through the manifold - a gasket would be the first part to fail.

As to whether you need to fit M10 studs - TT did as part of the conversion and don’t think that they would have gone to the hassle and it expense if it wasn't necessary. Again, I think that it is to do with the heat and stress going through the head and also the torque that is required to seal the manifold to the head.

Why are you taking the head off? For peace of mind, I'd send the head and manifold off to a decent machine shop (QEP etc) and get the exhaust side and manifold machined so they key perfectly. While your at it, get the exhaust ports and manifold inlets fettled so they match without any lips (you can polish the ports and runners yourself) then get the exhaust studs bored and tapped to take M10 studs. Saveloy has details of the studs to get, to ensure that they never work loose/snap/strip the thread - can’t remember off the top of my head but can try to find out if you like?

Basically, do everything that needs to be done to ensure reliablity so that you avoid having to remove the head again - which can be a real PITA, what with head bolts snapping etc. Also, fit a Peugeot GrpN head gasket when refitting.

TEKNOPUG

You may as well get new guides fitted and 3 angle seats cut whilst you're at it. I think I got quoted <£400 for all of the above work, including a head skim.

Guest lukey

Hpoefully the head will not have to come off!! thats worst case..if the bolts snap! ;)

yeah.. the gasket shouldnt be there.

vern

The head is coming off as I have a big valve flowed one to go on, just spoken to matt at QEP who is doing the refurb and got him to drill and tap for M10 studs, on the end 2 studs. ;)

TEKNOPUG

Get all the studs done.

Get him to key the exhaust & manifold faces to each other and also match the exhaust/manifold ports.

Matt gave me the quote above. I'll chase Kyri for specs for the studs.

vern

Unfortunatly will not be able to match ports etc as manifolds are still on car. The head is one I got second hand and just having a refresh done.

Spoke to Matt and he said only to do the end 2.

Have all ready sent a PM to Saveloy for the stud details.

TEKNOPUG

Then my work here is done :)

Guest lukey

Thanks for your help guys!

I drove it for the first time last night.. and OMG.. its fast.. but i cant drive it.. lol

Im to use to my merc.. Its going to take a while to get the hang of :(

Guest lukey

Got my car back from turbo technics yestaday.. O yeah

really pleased, the guys there have done such a good job! the car runs great.

Alastairh

Nice one!

Get some pics up!

sammyh
Spoke to Matt and he said only to do the end 2.

Any idea why?

saveloy

You mean the end 4. Simply because it is the outer ones that take the most strain, so they need larger studs/nuts to take the increased load.

Sign in to follow this