• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Installing An Xu10 Alternator On An Xu9

Super Josh

Has anyone done this before? I have a nice big juicy 150A XU10 alternator, that originally came off an XU10J2TE lump. Is it possible to fit this onto my XU9 Mi? Can I just unbolt the alternator mounting bracket and install an XU10 one? Which model would be best to scavenge one from? and will the pulley line up okay?

Josh

Anthony

XU10 8v alternators fit directly in place of XU9 alternators - got one running on my 1992 1.9 8v just fine without changing anything :)

XU10 16v alternators however are a different fitment, and at the least you'll have to change some brackets - never personally tried.

Super Josh

That's interesting Anthony, although looking at my XU9 one it had two mounting lugs, whereas the XU10 one only has one wide mounting lug. I have just had a look at the engine mount/alternator bracket on my car and it has another threaded hole in it, just in front of the one now being used for the alternator. Does this mean that I can get a new bolt and attach an XU10 one to that?

Josh

Anthony

Ah, that sounds like an XU10 16v alternator that you've got there - I've never looked closely at the Turbo engines, but guess they use the 16v style alternator then? Certainly the non-turbo 2.0 8v uses the same fitment alternator as 1.9's with the two spaced out mounting lugs, but in an XU10 style alternator casing.

I'll pop outside in a minute and see which style my TD has on it...

Super Josh
I've never looked closely at the Turbo engines, but guess they use the 16v style alternator then?

Yeah, I assume so, as they have the single serpentine belt that drives the PAS and AC too, with the plastic tensioner wheel.

I'll pop outside in a minute and see which style my TD has on it...

Cheers :)

I wonder if I can use the alternator mounting plate off an XU10 16V then? Will the XU9 Mi engine mount bolt onto that okay?

Josh

whizzer71
Yeah, I assume so, as they have the single serpentine belt that drives the PAS and AC too, with the plastic tensioner wheel.

Cheers :)

I wonder if I can use the alternator mounting plate off an XU10 16V then? Will the XU9 Mi engine mount bolt onto that okay?

Josh

Hi Josh,I have some brackets off an alloy blocked 406 16v that will bolt onto your XU9 and allow fitment of that alternator,yours if you want em !

Tris

:)

Super Josh

Nice one Tris :) I'll drop you a PM

Josh

Alastairh

Ant, do you have that pic that me and Kate took of the difference in Xu10 alternators, as i can see this topic coming up again...

tom_m
Ah, that sounds like an XU10 16v alternator that you've got there - I've never looked closely at the Turbo engines, but guess they use the 16v style alternator then? Certainly the non-turbo 2.0 8v uses the same fitment alternator as 1.9's with the two spaced out mounting lugs, but in an XU10 style alternator casing.

nope both the citroen derived turbo's i've got had the 8v style alternator like this

with one belt driving the alternator and another driving the LHM pump, maybe this is your answer josh?

Edited by tom_m

Sign in to follow this