• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martinh

Burning Oil, Advice Needed!

martinh

Hello all,

My 1990 1.6 gti has recently started burning oil, I thought at first that it was the piston rings but the other day we carried out a compression test and the results were:

Cylinder 1 (timing belt end) = 11.5 Bar

Cylinder 2 = 10 Bar

Cylinder 3 = 10 Bar

Cylinder 4 = 11 Bar

According to the haynes manual as long there is not a difference of more than 2 bar then the compression is satisfactory. Do the above results soundd accurate?

We have come to a conclusion that we think that the valve stem oil seals have had it, does this sound about right? If anyone could point me towards usual things that go wrong then that would be great!

Thanks in advance

Martin

p.s should probably mention that the car has done 139000 miles.

welshpug

compression looks very good, did they build up quickly and evenly?

does indeed sound like valve stem seals that have gone, is it breathing heavily through the rocker breather?

martinh

Yes they built up quickly, just cranked over a few times with the throttle wide open and they all shot up and stayed steady.

Not sure if it is breathing heavily through the rocker breather as we didn't check! If it was what would that indicate?

Thanks for the reply.

welshpug

it would indicate that the top end was breathing i.e stem seals leaking, though not a 100% surefire way to tell as there are oil galleries back down to the sump there too.

martinh

Thanks for the advice mate. We're fairly certain that it is the stem seals that are at fault. Do you know if there is a head rebuild kit on the market or will I have to buy everything seperately? Also is there anything else that would be advisable to change whilst everything is in bits?!

craig f90
Thanks for the advice mate. We're fairly certain that it is the stem seals that are at fault. Do you know if there is a head rebuild kit on the market or will I have to buy everything seperately? Also is there anything else that would be advisable to change whilst everything is in bits?!

Im sure theres a way to do these w/o removing the head. I had my old 1.6 done, only took my local garage a few hours to do. I think you can get a Head gasket kit with the stem seals. They are avalible seperate too. I cant rembember if they were pennys or pounds each. It was a fair few years ago now.

Edit: job was done with the head on but i had a cambelt change too. <_<

Edited by craig f90

Sign in to follow this