• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m5nut

Cylinder Head Bolts

m5nut

A friend ordered head bolts for me through Dingbro and was asked what length bolts I needed. Apparently there are 2 types, one for a skimmed head and one for standard. Seeing as my head has been lightly skimmed (not 8mm's worth) I went for the shorter bolts :D Well I've got them and they are a fair bit shorter (8mm)/are not torx heads but hex and have no stretchable areas.

Are these correct as I thought I needed the stretch in the bolts for a reason. Also if I'm just using the normal thickness gasket, that comes with a head gasket set, will the bolts be long enough to get a good purchase on the threads?

Really need someone who knows what the f**k they are talking about to enlighten me.

P.S. went for the normal gasket to increase CR a wee bit as the head has only had a light skim.

Thanks in advance!

ablister

not unusual for dingbro to get things wrong but i've never been asked what size i'm needing whenever i ask for them. Should only be the one size i think. I agree withg you on needing 8mm shorter bolts just because it has been skimmed!

m5nut

You reckon they should be 8mm shorter if it's been skimmed? Not sure if a few thou skim should warrant 8mm shorter bolts. Also there's the issue of them being non stretch bolts and I've never seen 205 head bolts without torx fit heads.

ablister

i mean i agree with you about not needing 8mm difference on size just because is has been skimmed. Also only ever seen torx headbolts for xu engines (t55) too. I'd go in again and ask someone else as sounds like a mistake to me

wardy18

i got some recently and they asked if i needed torx or hex, i just said torx cause thats what was fitted previously

cant see why you'd need 8mm shorter thou, more cance of strippin the threads in the alloy block as your torquein up to the same 25, 50 then 75 ft lbs but with less threads

id be careful

m5nut

just gonna return them and wait even longer to get this bloody engine back together again :D

pug_ham

The hex head bolts are for the earlier XU engines that need re-torqueing after an initial running period, these were replaced by the torx style that are single torque use only.

The amount thats been skimmed off a head even with a hefty skim certainly would make you need 8mm shorter bolts!

Graham.

Sign in to follow this