• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Fitting Gti-6 Brakes On 1.6 Hubs

maxi

Has anyone EVER managed to fit the GTi6 setup to their 1600 hubs???? What actually physically prevents it?? Sorry toask a simple question but brakes are something I know sweet fa about.....

Maxi

Alastairh

Simple task.

Base model hubs. You can bolt these brakes on with no mods, and still keep your smaller drive shafts if thats any help?

Al

maxi
Simple task.

Base model hubs. You can bolt these brakes on with no mods, and still keep your smaller drive shafts if thats any help?

Al

Its not the smaller driveshafts I am keen to keep mate, its the wider front track............... I might buy a pair of calipers and make them fit. Any idea what actually physically dosent work/line up??

Maxi

welshpug

a 6 disc on the 1.6 hub would sit too far outwards for the caliper (i,e wouldnt be in the middle of the gap in the carrier)

like this - 09-03-06_1616.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Jrod

So could you use spacers on the caliper mountings or would that cause to much flex?

welshpug

nope, as teh caliper bolts to the inner face of the hub carrier not the outer part, adding a spacer would move the caliper further inwards not out!

Maxi, IIRC constella do a 283mm brake adapter to take the standard caliper outwards.

jtek

ah base model hubs would be a good option then, however should the car be running more power in future are the 1600 shafts much weaker then 1900? sorry for straying slightly off topic.

Ryan

There must be an alternative disc than can be used. Plenty of cars share the 4x108 bolt pattern - most Fords, some Saabs, some Volvos...

Miles

Whats the 406 disc offset like?, But I'm sure if you tried a few Pug/Citroen disc's you would find one that fit's, But as every if you have all the parts to try it's easy or bloody hard if not

welshpug

the 406 offset is even lower than the gti6 and 1.9 offset unfortunately.

sonofsam
nope, as teh caliper bolts to the inner face of the hub carrier not the outer part, adding a spacer would move the caliper further inwards not out!

Maxi, IIRC constella do a 283mm brake adapter to take the standard caliper outwards.

Yes they do, I had them on for a while, however you wont get them over 15" speedlines without some major caliper grinding.

Rippthrough

307 discs have more offset....

cybernck

^ they are too thick for GTI6 calipers though ^_^.

VisaGTi16v

Other issue with tight fits is the heat. My friend races a Xsara with its standard vts/gti6 283mm setup with 15" 205 speedlines and his discs are glowing red after about 10 minutes and its standard bhp so not mega quick, theres just no room for airflow

Do you really need a bigger brake setup? The calipers are much heavier, the discs will be as well. I can stand my Visa on its nose and lock up the fronts if I wish and thats just standard 1.6 calipers and discs with mintex 1155's and braided hoses, rear is standard drums

maxi
Other issue with tight fits is the heat. My friend races a Xsara with its standard vts/gti6 283mm setup with 15" 205 speedlines and his discs are glowing red after about 10 minutes and its standard bhp so not mega quick, theres just no room for airflow

Do you really need a bigger brake setup? The calipers are much heavier, the discs will be as well. I can stand my Visa on its nose and lock up the fronts if I wish and thats just standard 1.6 calipers and discs with mintex 1155's and braided hoses, rear is standard drums

Ive always run std 1600 brakes with no problems whatsoever on my blue mi. Problem is, they were starting to struggle with 216BHp, the new engine im looking for around 250bhp.........

Maxi

pacey205

Have you thought about using the 266mm setup maxi, might be a good kind of medium setup with decent pads.

Michael

jackherer
Ive always run std 1600 brakes with no problems whatsoever on my blue mi. Problem is, they were starting to struggle with 216BHp, the new engine im looking for around 250bhp.........

Maxi

What pads were you using?

VisaGTi16v

hmm I guess I am only 170bhp, 800kg and slicks, I would probably need better brakes if I had that much power! Although bigger wheels and thus a larger contact patch would be my first step otherwise they would just lock easier!

gti_al

Anyway, i know this defies logic... but i prefer the way mine handles with the narrower front end. I went to base model hubs and 283mm stuff and it definately turns in better now. Maybe give it a go and see what you think?

Otherwise what about wilwood or alcon or somebody? Are there aftermarket calipers available for 1.6 hubs?

Edited by cybernck

pug_ham

AFAIK Neil @ Des develpments has successfully fitted the 405 266mm discs & calipers to 1.6 GTi hubs & got higher brake readings when tested than when he had 283mm discs fitted.

All that was needed is a little relieving on the yokes iirc but I'll point Henry Yorkle in the direction of this topic as I think he knows more bout it than me.

Graham.

Henry Yorke

Yes Neil ran Mi16 calipers on his 205 Mi16 by shaving off about 3mm from the caliper mount face (though I am not 100% sure), but he deffo got better braking efficiency than a 283mm set up when tested on an MOT brake test.

However if I wanted to retain the wider track, then I would just run some spacers on the original wheels or get some wheels with a wider offset and a 60 degree taiper on the threads. I have run 7x15 wheels on my skip with a 10mm spacer on it with a stud kit and taipered bolts and they never had any wheel wobble. You only get problems with flat face bolts as they don't pull true to centre.

As for driveshafts, there is hardly any strength difference between 1.6 and 1.9. I would much rather put my faith in a genuine 1.6 shaft over an aftermarket 1.9 one! You get what you pay for.

Sign in to follow this