• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Co Level

Rom

Evening..

What sort of CO level should an Mi be running at ? Mines been a bit rich lately, ive changed the CTS, and also fitted the AFM the right way after reading some other threads.

I think the limit for CO is 3.5 ? But pretty sure thats not the idea figure. Mine was at 3.9 today, ive knocked it down to 2.8 but id like to know what is considered the optimum amount. Rather than just have it under the limit.

Also while poking around, i noticed on my AFM plug, theres a thick yellow wire which has been cut near the plug. Its a BX loom if that helps. What should it be connected to ?

Cheers

Anthony

I usually set them up around 1.0-1.5% - 2.8% is definately still too rich, even if it will pass an MOT

Rom

Ahh..that sounds reasonable :angry:

It smells a little less than it did. I didnt want to drop it too low, until i knew what it should be.

paul205mi16

I had my 205mi16 set up to pass a MOT recently, The CO level was set around 2.00%, I was told that I should not give the engine too much abuse as it will melt the pistons set at that CO level.. I am booked in for a RR session soon, Where he will adjust it again.

Why would the pistons melt at this CO, Is the RR session really worth the money on a Standard 1.9 mi16 on standard management?

Paul.

GLPoomobile
I had my 205mi16 set up to pass a MOT recently, The CO level was set around 2.00%, I was told that I should not give the engine too much abuse as it will melt the pistons set at that CO level.. I am booked in for a RR session soon, Where he will adjust it again.

Why would the pistons melt at this CO, Is the RR session really worth the money on a Standard 1.9 mi16 on standard management?

Paul.

I can't remember if the Mi AFMs are the same as the 8v AFMs in this respect but there should be a hex head bolt in the AFM body which is used to adjust idle mixture. It just varies the amount of air passing through the AFM at idle, and hence the mixture, and hence the CO2 output. This is all you need to adjust on an otherwise healthy engine. If the idle mixture is adjusted this way then it will have no impact to the mixture throughout the rest of the rev range.

To adjust the mixture throughout the rev range you have to whip off the black lid and adjust the flap spring tension by moving the cog inside. This should only be done while monitoring the mixture on a rolling road as much nastiness may result from hasty f*** ups ^_^

As for melted psitons, that would be a result of an overly lean mixture. But nothing to worry about if you are only adjusting the idle mixture.

Edited by GLPoomobile

McPikie

Paul.

Dog s*it

He is trying to have money out of you mate. Unless, of course, that it's leaning out throughout the rev range

Anthony
It smells a little less than it did. I didnt want to drop it too low, until i knew what it should be.

If you lean off the idle mixture too much, the idle quality just drops and the engine note sounds much more "chuggy"

Paul.

The idle mixture (CO) is pretty much independant of the mixture across the rest of the rev range, and hence if that's what he's going by to judge whether the engine needs a rolling-road tune then I'd suggest finding another garage - this one is either clueless, or trying to pull the wool over your eyes IMO.

paul205mi16

Looks like I wont bother with the rolling road sesh then, I mean the car runs sound enough allready.

I did really think I found a top bloke to do the litle things I can't do at home, maybe I will have to rethink that one.

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this