• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Driveshadft Options

Craigb

Moving on from James thread about driveshaft availability, I thought I would start to look at the 205 only options for replacement shafts, and also how and where people’s shafts have failed

Currently I believe the options are

1. New Peugeot Shafts still available at £188

2. OE reconditioned shafts at £128

3. GSF GKN shafts at £90 ish

4. GSF none GKN shafts at £70 ish

Outside of these options are custom shafts at about £1000 ea

As far as I can see the differences are

Option 4 No guarantee

Option 3 sometimes comes with a life guarantee

Option 2 has a thicker shaft (by 1.2 mm)

Option 1 has rolled splines rather than cut splines (in theory should be stronger)

Modes of Failure

a) outer CV fractures

:rolleyes: shaft snaps in the outer CV

c) inner CV fractures

d) shaft snaps in the inner CV

e) tripod collapses

Can a poll be set up on here ?

If so can someone set up one with the modes of failure above ?

Edited by Craigb

Anthony

Another option is to have a word with Sandy309's mate Colin Satchell - he makes custom shafts based (I think) on heavy duty 406 CV's that are meant to be very strong and competition proven. Can't remember the exact price, but I recall that they weren't too bad at all - £200 a piece rings a bell, but might be wrong.

Otherwise, for road and occasional track use, I've never (yet) had a problem with GKN driveshafts and for the money I can't really fault them. Not sure they'd survive competition use with a plate diff so well mind you.

Craigb

I forgot to add , that all of the failures i have had have been d ) snapped shaft at the base of the splines going into the inner CV on the nearside.

Thats with GKN shafts !

steve@cornwall

I've had numerous failures due to the tripod roller bearings over the years. Just put new (scrappy ) tripods or rollers in - occasionally also replaced the part that goes into 'box as well, as they can get badly mangled with loose bearings. That and outer CV wear (knocking when cornering) - these can give donor tripods etc. before chucking. Maybe in future I should keep the old shaft too for you over-powered boys :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this