• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

Doctoring Front Arb

sutol

Did anyone ever get around to altering front or rear arb to make adjustable ? there has been talk of a DIY job

Have done search and to buy one looks expensive so I thought maybe it wasn't too difficult to fettle your own.

I'm thinking to stiffen it up would save having to go negative camber, and whilst the engine is out and I'm replacing the

bushes anyway then perhaps I'll have a go at it.post-9302-1197027771.gif can't be that difficult....or can it ?

jackherer

If you're up for some experimenting I came across the description of a US patent for a torsion bar stiffener that looks very simple to make and also looks like it should be quite effective too. Might be worth playing with?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5354041.html

If you register on that site you can view pics (scroll down)

jackherer

pics:

post-3-1197029387_thumb.gif

post-3-1197029404_thumb.gif

jackherer

BTW you should be stiffening the rear rather than the front on a 205 :rolleyes:

sutol
If you're up for some experimenting I came across the description of a US patent for a torsion bar stiffener that looks very simple to make and also looks like it should be quite effective too. Might be worth playing with?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5354041.html

If you register on that site you can view pics (scroll down)

That is for a bar that is fixed at one end like a Morris Minor or my Isuzu front suspension (no springs) but an excellent idea and an excellent site.

I suppose that as those ideas are not patented in UK then it is OK to use them :rolleyes:

sutol
BTW you should be stiffening the rear rather than the front on a 205 :wub:

I was going to do both, but never done it on a 205 before.

Is there a problem with stiffening the front, I was hoping that it would help to stop roll but maybe I will just be creating problems elsewhere :rolleyes:

Pugnut

its not just a 205 'rule'

on a fwd you stiffen the rear and RWD you stiffen the front

AL

jackherer
That is for a bar that is fixed at one end like a Morris Minor or my Isuzu front suspension (no springs)

Yes, or the rear suspension of a 205..... However I don't see why the same idea wouldn't work on an anti roll bar too (which is just a torsion bar after all)

I suppose that as those ideas are not patented in UK then it is OK to use them :rolleyes:

Absolutely. Although I think it would also be ok to make one for personal use in the US too, you wouldn't be able to sell them though.

sutol
However I don't see why the same idea wouldn't work on an anti roll bar too (which is just a torsion bar after all)

The arb is only fixed to the wheels and for instance does nothing at all during straight and level braking to stop the nose dipping.

To stiffen the action one would need to shorten the fixing points at the wheel end, if you get what I mean.

I think after due consideration that I will go the route of stiffer front springs and leave the arb alone.

Maybe I'll have a look at the back one when I get around that end. It would be nice to be able to thread the ends of the arb and fit threaded tube to it for ultimate adjustability post-9302-1197035003.gif Think I'll patent that :rolleyes:

jackherer
The arb is only fixed to the wheels and for instance does nothing at all during straight and level braking to stop the nose dipping.

To stiffen the action one would need to shorten the fixing points at the wheel end, if you get what I mean.

People also fit thicker (stiffer) front anti roll bars (like the 309 bar) and I don't see why this modification wouldn't have the same effect?

Its of more value on a 205 at the rear of course, but if this works it would be a simple bolt on mod that would fit most cars, I'm amazed they aren't in production, patents are probably the reason though B)

Sign in to follow this