• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pp205

Mi16 Air Filter

pp205

Hi, when it comes to getting an air filter for the 1.9 Mi16 in a 205 have people gone and got the whole kit (ie K + N for £70 - 80!) or just got a single universal cone filter?

Also are there any recommendations of a particular brand I should use?

Thanks Simon

sutol

I am going to use anything that fits on my conversion. If you can get it neatly into the bay and it isn't too small then I would say use it. (anything that fits)

daveyboyblack

Yep, I wouldn't worry too much about the brand etc.... just whatever fits properly in the space to allow you to get some clearance, and maybe some cold air into it!

Dave

GLPoomobile

Cheapest option would be to get a suitable size Universal cone filter (K&N, Green, Pipercross etc) and a 'top hat adaptor' which is the bit that has a square flange that bolts to the AFM and then a tube that the filter is clipped to.

Miles posted the part numbers for these (Green filters part numbers IIRC) a few months ago, in a topic that I think I started. I think it was about £45 for the lot rather than £65+ for an induction kit.

pacey205

I got a green filter from Demon Thieves but I didnt get one for a 205 instead I bought one of their universal sized ones that was a decent enough size to fit in behond the headlight. Cost less than the specific one and works fine.

Michael

pp205

Thanks for the replies guys, wasn't really wanting to part with too much cash for a full kit!!

maxi

When I was doing mi conversions I always used to use the pipercross universal filters the right size to fit behind the headlight. They have a 65mm neck too.

Maxi

Miles

I think Pacey found the same one as me, I use a Top Hat adaptor so the filter fit's directly on the AFM and I measured the hole for the biggest filter which was a universal Green one, Part number's on my other PC thou

sutol
Thanks for the replies guys, wasn't really wanting to part with too much cash for a full kit!!

Here is my opinion on air filters.

For performance I have used the standard filter from the biggest engine that will fit my project.

The standard filter is usually up to the job but restricted by the box that it is put in. Manufacturers do this to reduce intake noise, take a look at the first bit of inlet pipe on a standard fiter, the one that pokes into the airflow to suck in air, small innit!

If you are on a budjet you can use an original filter box and drill large holes in it (facing away from any heat source) this will allow the engine to suck in what it needs.

Aftermarket sporty filters are only better because they are not strangled by noise reducing a filter box and in my opinion flow only marginaly better if at all.

So save your money and improvise. :)

Sign in to follow this