• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Coolant Temp Sensor?

Ben

Following on from my other thread I thought I'd post this here as well, Im going to change the sensor I just want to make sure this is the right one?

DSC00445.jpg

Edited by Ben

steve@cornwall
Following on from my other thread I thought I'd post this here as well, Im going to change the sensor I just want to make sure this is the right one?

DSC00445.jpg

That one looks like the SAD sensor. Ecu sensor will be similar, but with a blue plug, not black . within 9" of the SAD one and assumiing your car is a later Ph2 from the plastic stat cover, the sensor will be on the same housing as the stat, at the rear. If you trace the wiring back from the plug in your picture, it goes into the loom at the same point as the ecu sensor wiring, so you could trace from there!

Ben

i did find a simlar looking plug but in blue but on the other side of the dizzy, is this likely to be it? Looks like a bit of a pig to get to as well.

GLPoomobile

The blue one is your man. It's the only blue one there (or should be, unless some monkey has seriously buggered about with your car), so that's the one you want.

If it's at the back facing the bulkhead (they were in different places depending on age of car) then you are right, it is a total sod to get to :wacko:

Ben

Bugger, i thought that would be the case.

Just had another thought the gauge is working fine so is there a sensor for the gauge and a different sensor for the ecu?

welshpug

yes, the blue one is for the ecu, there'll be another 2 single terminal sensors next to that blue one.

if you pull the spade connector off one sensor sensor and earth it you should see either the gauge go to the top, or the red light come on.

pug_ham

It looks like your car is quite a late model without the coolant temp sender housing so your CTS will be at the back of the cylinder head near the dash temp guage & temp warning senders.

The middle of the three in the picture below shows where yours should be;

3822thermo_housings.jpg

Graham.

Ben

is it this fella then? the blue one at the bottom:

DSC00446.jpg

steve@cornwall
is it this fella then? the blue one at the bottom:

DSC00446.jpg

That's the one! :)

Ben

What a bastard lol, I'm taking the car to see miles at pugracing next week so I'll wait until then before I start ripping bits off it.

philfingers

If it's the sensor that's gone then it probably won't run at all. You could take the plug off and measure the resistance of it. Will give you a good clue as to if it's duff or not

AudoData CD says:-

bosch.jpg

Phil

Ben

Is it possible that it may not of 'gone' completely but may be giving incorrect readings?

Stu

Yep, whats worse is you could have one that checks out when stone cold adding more confusion..

I had the pleasure of such a fault, if you're really keen then get it out, rig up the multimeter and drop it in a pan of water and measure the resistance as the temp increases.

steve@cornwall
If it's the sensor that's gone then it probably won't run at all. You could take the plug off and measure the resistance of it. Will give you a good clue as to if it's duff or not

Phil

Plug in a spare sensor and leave it dangling loose, the car will run for about 5 mins and stop with too much fuel. won't start at all with none plugged in - Depends how it fails

Sign in to follow this