• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Forged Pistons, What Should I Do?

Doof

Ok, i bought 3 gti6 forged pistons for my S16 for a decent price obviously because theres only 3. Now i've got them I come to the process of buying a 4th. From longmans I can get a single piston with rings and gugeon pin for around 150, all fine. I have a set nice and cheap.

However, i'm now wondering if i should replace the piston rings on the other 3 pistons, and also, what about the pins? They've only had about 10 hours running, but is it an issue going from one engine to another?

A full set of rings would be another 90 quid, and it seems getting a full set of new pins might be difficult...but one of them has a slight groove in it where i imagine the edge of the little end bearing would have been. (will get pics later)

btw, the 4th piston only broke due to a valve smashing through it so the others are fine.

Cheers,

Lewis

James_R

If you're putting them in a fresh block, then new rings and a hone would be an idea.

Check the pins, if they're worn then they'll need replacing too.

Also do you know the spec of the pistons, what CR they were running, headgasket thickness TDC vlave clearance? if they were from an engine with big lift/duration cams then the comp might be a little high if you're running more mild cams, so some maching might be needed, or a even thicker h/g

James

Sign in to follow this