• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

309 Rear Beam

matt-k

Hi, ive been thinking of fitting a 309 gti rear beam mainly for the wider track they give. Is a standard 309 beam with drums the same width as the 309 gti's.

Thanks, Matt.

pug_ham

Any beam from a 309 will give you the wider track but they aren't the same as the GTi with drums on.

Drum brake 309 track (front / rear); 1408 / 1376mm

Disc brake (GTi) track width (front / Rear); 1405 / 1381mm

I very much doubt you'd notice the 5mm difference though but the torsion bars & rear anti roll bars are thinner on all other 309s to the GTi.

Graham.

projectpug

I know im thinking of a 309 rear beam for a wider track for my track car . Will i notice a big difference?

Baz

It'll feel more planted cornering yes.

I have a 309 GTi beam on my white 205, and a drum-braked 309 beam with GTi TB's and ARB going on my blue 1.6. i don't think the 5mm will be noticable, still an improvement over the std beam.

matt-k

Thanks Lads, Ill be looking for one after xmas so just weighing up my options, If i fit the 309 gti beam with disc will i need to change the rear brake compensator thingy for a 1.9 one as i have a 1.6 with drums at the mo.

Thanks again.

Anthony
If i fit the 309 gti beam with disc will i need to change the rear brake compensator thingy for a 1.9 one as i have a 1.6 with drums at the mo.

No. The 1.6 compensator works fine in my experience (that's how my own car is done) :lol:

Baz

Better than the troublesome 1.9 types i'd go as far as saying!! :)

welshpug

the 5mm difference noted by Graham is down to the slightly narrower setup of the drums, fitting discs will bring the wheels out 2.5mm each.

danpug

Surely you could just fit spacers to the hubs on a 205 beam to bring it to the same width?

pug_ham
the 5mm difference noted by Graham is down to the slightly narrower setup of the drums, fitting discs will bring the wheels out 2.5mm each.

That much is obvious from my original reply quoting the track widths. :)

Surely you could just fit spacers to the hubs on a 205 beam to bring it to the same width?

I personally wouldn't want to fit 25mm spacers to each side of the beam, it'd go through wheel bearings like butter.

A 309 beam is a far better way to gain the extra width.

Graham.

danpug

If thats the case then fair enough!

Sign in to follow this