• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

How Can I Tell Which Gearbox I Have?

Atari Boy

I have been given a 1.9 gearbox and I think it is a BE1 type. Is there a way of confirming this?

It is off the car so not as straight forward as it could be?

Thanks

Jonny

philfingers

Both BE1 and BE3 have two sort of selectors sticking out the back of the box. On a BE1 both are flat type with a ball joint on. On a be3 on of these is like a 10 to 12mm round bar with a 90deg bend in it, with the ball formed on the end.

BE1 will have a hole for the reverse cable, on a BE3 that same hole is a breather.

BE3 has a shaft for the clutch cable, sticks out the top. BE1 sort of sticks out of the box more so to the front.

Best you post a picture and we can tell you.

jord294

imo, i think the easiest way to tell between be1 and be3 gearbox, is by looking at the clutch fork

if the fork which holds the clutch release bearing is combined on a vertical bar, it is be3

if the fork for the clutch release bearing is a a plate pivoting through the side of the gearbox, it's a be1

Edited by jord294

philfingers
imo, i think the easiest way to tell between be1 and be3 gearbox, is by looking at the clutch fork

if the fork which holds the clutch release bearing is combined on a vertical bar, it is be3

if the fork for the clutch release bearing is a a plate pivoting through the side of the gearbox, it's a be1

Yes, good simple explanation! I can tell by looking but not too easy at putting it into words!

welshpug

IMO the easiest way is to clean the bugger and look at the markings!

sont forget that a lot of BE1 and BE3 bell-housings are identical, so its the main body of the box you need to look at.

have a play with the selectors, if you find 3 gears one side and 3 t'other its a BE3, 4 on one side and 2 t'other its a be1 :rolleyes:

Atari Boy

Some pictures might help.

gbox5.jpg

gbox4.jpg

gbox3.jpg

gbox2.jpg

gbox1.jpg

Thanks everyone, what would Rolf Harris say 'can you tell what it is yet?'

welshpug

its a BE1 :rolleyes:

hasnt got TDC sensor mounting either :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Atari Boy

Great thanks WelshPug.

jord294

the hole in the side of the gearbox tells you it's a be1

welshpug

naah, BE4's have that hole!!!

jord294

which gti had the be4 gearbox ?

Miles

And it's not a 1.9 box, Could be a Derv or 1.6 GTi as the selectors are bolt on which stoped around early 1986

So you might want to amend your ebay add

Edited by Miles

Atari Boy

Thanks Miles, I was told otherwise.

Miles

I know what you mean, the amount of engine's and boxes I;ve had which have been sold to people as 'X' and turns out to be complete rubbish always amazes me, but if your not 100% on the subject you can see why really as it's not easy to find out what it is unless it's stripped

Sign in to follow this