• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Scrap Head?

Doof

I'm in the process of rebuilding my S16 for a bit more poke and have started on the head. Now, while i've been pulling it apart its become apparent that its had some work done already because theres horrible sealant everywhere. Now, i dont like this because in my mind, and i could be wrong, you shoudln't need this stuff, proper gaskets should suffice right?

Also, the surfaces seem to look like theres lots of scratches in them, like they've been sanded with a coarse grade of sand paper. I've taken some pictures to show it but im not sure you can really tell. This is mainly on the upper face, to which the rocker cover would seal....perhaps this explains the liquid sealant? You can just about see in the top right corner loads of sealant around the spark plug hole...interestingly the plug holes were totally full of oil so obviously that was a rubbish attempt at sealing it.

mini-DSC01397.jpg

Also, with it having been worked on before, im guessing the heads been skimmed, i'm not liking the idea of skimming it again, i mean how far can you go? Im sure i was told that there are markers that show the limit on these heads, i've marked one on the pic below, and by rubbing my finger accross it i'd say its already close to the limit, if this is a proper marker:

mini-DSC01406.jpg

One more thing.....what grinding work has been done at the bottom of the port, has someone smoothed the valve seat into the port or somethign?

mini-DSC01400.jpg

Head face:

mini-DSC01404.jpg

Any comments based on these pictures? For the cost of a second hand head, i'm inclined to try and source one thats not had any work, at least that was i can skim everything and not worry...and there shoudn't be loads of scratches everywhere which could cause leaks.

Miles

Thats all normal, the gasket does leave remains behind some more than other's

The ports are normal too, just the maching done while being assembled

Can be skimed again no problems at all, it depends on what cam's your using if you need to pocket the pistons etc

When you stick it back together use a GTi6 headgasket as these are a 3 layer steel gasket as std

Doof

I had a look at the head today with a view to taking material away on the ports where the gaskets dont match up and noticed theres quite a lip just before the valve seat...where it appears to be freshly machined. Is this maching some sort of anti reversal lip or can i grind the seat away so that it blends into the port?

Sign in to follow this