• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Carbs And Mapped Ignition?

ORB

OK, so i searched and i have not found what I am looking for?

I have an MI16 running a 1.9 GTi Dizzy through a constella adaptor.

I have the 1.6 Ignition amp and GTi 1.6 HT leads and coil.

The car is running a home made manifold and R1 carbs.

I was worried about the Dizzy not quite being up to the job (am I correct?)

So, I was wondering what I should be looking for on the Ebay in terms of mappable ignition and what sort of money I should be looking at?

Any hints please boys and girls.

brianthemagical

your probably right about the dizzy, if nothing else it'll probably be a comprimise. i've just had a quick mooch on the bay and could only find megajolt, but if you plan on getting megajolt/squirt then i would go for megasquirt, for possible future upgrades, and try and get it from america, as it's alot cheaper. if you want a ready built ecu cheap then i would hve alook at the likes of 'tweeks and find what you want, then search for that on the bay. not sure on the money side of things though, but it'll more than you calculate.

ORB

Cool, thanks for the reply, the thing is, I am not actually too sure what it is that I am looking for!

brianthemagical

i suppose the next question is who's doing the mapping? you must have some idea of what you want, even if it's just a buget, and mapped ignition. you will need a load sensor, either throttle pot or map, do you want 4 coils or would wasted spark be ok?

ORB

;) i dont know!

i need to learn :lol:

brianthemagical

search for the likes of wasted spark, coil packs, ignition etc in the aftermarket management section, theres loads of info.

pip470

I think that you are trying to do it as cheap as possible, hence the bike carbs. In that case the dizzy will provide the spark fine, The only compromise is the advance sometimes comes in too soon in the rev range and causes the car to pink so at peak rpm the ignition advance is a bit retarded from ideal because of the compromise. With mapped ignition you will need a minimum, flywheel with timing ring on which the mi16 has, a crank sensor which it has, a coil, the brain and a loom. I have used a mbe 976 and the shop i bought it of is putting a map on that will be sufficiant to get the car running. It can then be tweaked either by yourself with a lap top or taken to a rolling road. If you want to get the most out of the mappable ignition then using the throttle pot on the carbs which i think you will have as mine has, then a load/rpm map can be set up too. Wasted spark just means that the spark plug fires even on the exhaust stroke so its wasted. A common coil to use is the vauxhaul coil from a redtop for example. It cost me near on £600 for the brain coil leads and the map and the loom to connect it to my engine. I know its better than the dizzy arrangement but i didnt want to have to go about making my engine use the dizzy when it isnt set up from factory to run the dizzy. Hope this helps a little still learning myself

Matt Holley

I have got a dta ecu on mine, you also need a TPS, coil leads to match and a crank sensor.

It costs a bit by the time you add on the mapping but I would never go back to an 8v dizzy, I drove my old gti6 205 after I built the latest one ( a friend of mine still owns it) that had the same carbs but that had piper cams and mine was so much nicer to drive, more responsive better starting etc etc.

ORB

Thanks for the help chaps, I know what I need to think about now!

Sign in to follow this