• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

New Loom Found In Garage

sutol

Just found a 206 engine bay loom still in its wrapper in the garage. Any thoughts on what it would fit besides an 03 206.

welshpug

depends what engine its for and wether it's pre or post multiplex.

sutol
depends what engine its for and wether it's pre or post multiplex.

Dooh :).........I'll check later

Thought they were all the same or similar :D

Mikey S
Dooh :).........I'll check later

Thought they were all the same or similar :D

03 will be multiplexed so probably model dependant, although it may fit a 307 if the engine numbers are the same.

sutol
03 will be multiplexed so probably model dependant, although it may fit a 307 if the engine numbers are the same.

Don't understand what multiplex is, thought it was a cinema :)

Do No's EW10/T1 on label help ?

Mikey S
Don't understand what multiplex is, thought it was a cinema :)

Do No's EW10/T1 on label help ?

basically its f***ed up! :D ew10 will be either gti 136 or gti180.

its works something like this: instead of a loom containing, say, 10 wires, a single wire could be used to cut down on wiring around the vehicle. it uses processors/ecu's to control different aspects of the car. its technical and not a particulaly reliable system. so much so that pug dont actually use it anymore.

Edited by pugger

welshpug

now that I didnt know Pugger! I hate the thought of having to work on a Multiplexed car that has an electrical fault, and I'm glad they've gone back to tons of wires!

it was funny when I sat in a Multiplexed 206 to MOT prep it, pressed the horn and a second later it went meep! and the wiper washers have a second delay!

Edited by welshpug

pugrallye

Its only a simple BUS system, which all cars use today (albeit 50 times more complicated now) from an engineering point of view it was a very clever idea, shame they fell at first hurdle and went to CAN

Mikey S
now that I didnt know Pugger! I hate the thought of having to work on a Multiplexed car that has an electrical fault, and I'm glad they've gone back to tons of wires!

it was funny when I sat in a Multiplexed 206 to MOT prep it, pressed the horn and a second later it went meep! and the wiper washers have a second delay!

believe me you dont want to! 307's are just terrible. i have experienced abs faults that have turned out to be the cd changer scrambling the signals! :) they havent as such gone back to masses of wiring. from what i know there now using a mercedes derived canbus network which i honestly havent a clue what that entails. i know what you mean about the delays though. it gets very annoying as nothing seems to be 'on demand' theres always a pause.

pugrallye

There is nothing hard about CAN bus, its simple, just cant think in normal car electirical terms... LIN netwroks are far worse and rarely used except for rain sensors etc. (only 1 wire.. think in std. electrics wheres the earth?? or wheres the supply???.. you will end up in a mess)

Mikey S
There is nothing hard about CAN bus, its simple, just cant think in normal car electirical terms... LIN netwroks are far worse and rarely used except for rain sensors etc. (only 1 wire.. think in std. electrics wheres the earth?? or wheres the supply???.. you will end up in a mess)

are these lin networks like on the new transits/vag cars? its fibreoptics isnt it?

pugrallye

nope copper cored wire (1x) yes VAG and transits use them.

Merc are really into fibre optics for bus control, VAG its only just starting to emerge... but only about 1 foot of it per car, lol

jim205GTI

the multiplex system on bro's c2 was amusing..... All the driver comforts like stereo, the display with clock and which door is open remote central locking all run of the same bit of loom. So when it came to wiring in his new stereo, gee what fun... the display got stuck on left door open and the same time, no remote central locking. The system could be cheated by changing a few wires round but would void warranty so went and got a 8 quid bit just so all the comforts would work ;)

And there was me moaning at finding out which wire was which in my 205 :lol:

Sign in to follow this