• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Thermostat Coolant Bleed Valve

Whilst fixing a split hose at the side of the road, I lost the cap to the bleed valve above the thermostat. I noticed that it had looked very similar to a tyre valve cap, so nicked one of one of the wheels and used that. It appears to have worked (no leaks anyway). It is a phase 2 1.6 gti by the way. Question is, should this be ok in the long run, I'm thinking if it doesn't leak, job's a goodun?

Rob_the_Sparky

??????????????????????????????????

AFAIK the thermostat bleed comes in two types:

The later drilled brass cap head (allen key) screw or the earlier plastic type that snaps off almost instantly (same type that is used in the rubber heater hose).

I'm guessing you had the plastic type and have snapped it off, like so many others. If you have then don't panic most people seem to get away with it, I'm just a perfectionist so replaced mine with a later type when it snapped off (first time I tried to use it).

Rob

??????????????????????????????????

AFAIK the thermostat bleed comes in two types:

The later drilled brass cap head (allen key) screw or the earlier plastic type that snaps off almost instantly (same type that is used in the rubber heater hose).

I'm guessing you had the plastic type and have snapped it off, like so many others. If you have then don't panic most people seem to get away with it, I'm just a perfectionist so replaced mine with a later type when it snapped off (first time I tried to use it).

Rob

I'm a bit confused now! It is definitely a plastic one ie. the thread of the bleed valve is plastic and I don't think anything's snapped off. It didn't have the same type of screw that is on the heater matrix hose, it had one that looked like a tyre valve cap - then I lost it - maybe someone before me had put a tyre cap valve on as well??!! Anyway, it seems to work :)

dani959

Same happened on mine, with a new thermostat cover.

I've also used a tyre valve cover and it does the job perfectly!

Cheers

Cheers - that's what I wanted to hear! And free too....

Rob_the_Sparky

Well normally what happens is the knurled bit you turn snaps off leaving the bleed hole blocked. All I can guess is that someone has bodged something in to allow you to bleed it. Really not worth it as to put a new brass one in from Pug costs bugger all and as the original is plastic it is easy to drill out the remains while changing the stat.

jackherer

There is a third type that is almost identical to a tyre valve dust cap! I only recall seeing them on BXs and other PSA cars though, don't think I've ever seen one on an original 205 engine.

engelbert

The tyre valve will probably work but I did this on mine and it kept working loose and leaking till one day it blew off. I went to a peugeot dealer and they sorted me one out it was a blue plastic one holds the thread much tighter than the tyre valve. They gave it to me for free but even if you have to pay for it it'll be pennys. worth doing otherwise it could catch you out :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile
Well normally what happens is the knurled bit you turn snaps off leaving the bleed hole blocked. All I can guess is that someone has bodged something in to allow you to bleed it. Really not worth it as to put a new brass one in from Pug costs bugger all and as the original is plastic it is easy to drill out the remains while changing the stat.

Rob, as Kieron says, you can get plastic thermostat covers that have the type of valve that is described - it screws on to a nipple rather than in to the hole.

I had one on my old J reg but I'm not sure if it was original (then engine may not have even been original). The thermostat cover on that one had a 2nd hose outlet that had been blanked off.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Ben
There is a third type that is almost identical to a tyre valve dust cap! I only recall seeing them on BXs and other PSA cars though, don't think I've ever seen one on an original 205 engine.

I've got the 'tyre valve' on my phase 2 1.6

Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty sure mine's original - I'll contact Pug and see if they have a "proper" cap rather than a tyre valve cap!

Phil H

I believe there is a "proper" cap, but all it is on mine is basically a blue valve cap.

picked one up from Pug....29p

engelbert
I believe there is a "proper" cap, but all it is on mine is basically a blue valve cap.

Thats what I got, and it fits much better and tighter than a normal tyre valve :rolleyes: also I dont think tyre valves are designed to take that kind of heat :wub:

Edited by engelbert

Sign in to follow this