• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Roll Cage

driversdomainuk

Hi

Having finally stripped the dash right back, I have complete accessability to the bulk head.... :unsure:

I am now looking to upgrade my roll cage so there is reinforcement across the front of the car to help protect from a front impact, either front triangulation to the struts or/and a bar to go across the front.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could get additional roll cage tubing, or would it just be worth me gettign some standard steel tubing and finding a good welder..?

I don't normally like adding weight to the car unless it falls into the following criteria:

Increase Performance

Increase safety

Cheers

Edited by driversdomainuk

rescue dude
Increase Performance

Increase safety

Cheers

Couldn't agree more.

If you check your blue book it tells you the minimum rollcage requirements and material specs.

driversdomainuk
Couldn't agree more.

If you check your blue book it tells you the minimum rollcage requirements and material specs.

will have to look at the 2008 copy. The wife decided to throw out the 2007 copy as it "was making a mess" in the house.

Poor deranged woman needs help. :unsure::lol:

driversdomainuk
Couldn't agree more.

I am quite strict with what I do with the car. I will hopefully be down to 770kg by next season. I could totally butcher it and rip off the arches, etc. But I have made up some rules apart from the above, all designed to keep the car "a 205 GTI" and not some generic hill climb machine which originaed from a 205.

I think if I start ripping badges off, bin the original bonnet and tailgate etc it will start to lose its identity as a 205 GTI. I am shortly cutting back the tailgate from the inside and also removing the underside support of the bonnet. It will be interesting to see how much weight I can save whilst still having the original panels on.

I dont think fibreglass looks as good as or fits as well as the original stuff.

projectpug

Take some picture of the modified boot/bonnet when your done please

tom_m
Hi

Having finally stripped the dash right back, I have complete accessability to the bulk head.... :unsure:

I am now looking to upgrade my roll cage so there is reinforcement across the front of the car to help protect from a front impact, either front triangulation to the struts or/and a bar to go across the front.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could get additional roll cage tubing, or would it just be worth me gettign some standard steel tubing and finding a good welder..?

I don't normally like adding weight to the car unless it falls into the following criteria:

Increase Performance

Increase safety

Cheers

i'm not sure that the cage extensions to the strut tops do much in terms of head on impact protection, they're more for stiffening the front suspension mounts. the dash bar will do more, preventing the cage caving at the front, and producing a more rigid cell around the driver.

you can just about see the dash bar on mine in this pic:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/the_...nt=DSC00294.jpg

driversdomainuk
i'm not sure that the cage extensions to the strut tops do much in terms of head on impact protection, they're more for stiffening the front suspension mounts. the dash bar will do more, preventing the cage caving at the front, and producing a more rigid cell around the driver.

you can just about see the dash bar on mine in this pic:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/the_...nt=DSC00294.jpg

thanks for that mate.

I still have the dash in place (the top bit) and so would position it slightly lower. Saved the engine making an unwelcome appearance in the event of a front end smash....

sliced up, crushed legs wrapped around a red hot engine would be a little painful.. :unsure:

tom_m
thanks for that mate.

I still have the dash in place (the top bit) and so would position it slightly lower. Saved the engine making an unwelcome appearance in the event of a front end smash....

sliced up, crushed legs wrapped around a red hot engine would be a little painful.. :unsure:

much lower than that and i think you'll find the steering column and peddles start getting in the way.

brianthemagical

if your looking for somewhere to do the work, holleoaks may be able to help, they do coachbuilding and the owner has got a hillclimbing 7 look alike. he can ali weld aswell. don't accept his recomendations for engine building though. his workshop is (was) on the road heading past the bus depot (not station) towards the morrisons roundabout. it's just before the lights in ditherington on the left, set back a bit.

Sign in to follow this