• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

205 Mi16 Downpipe Help.

yorkshirekowboy

hello peeps,

Im needing help with my downpipe as i have just connected it up with my adjusted mi16 manifold to see how much its on the floor, and the whole downpipe is on the floor :wacko:

so just wondering if anybody on here could tell me or know of a diagram of how much to cut off/angle, and how to do it etc.

there must be a thread somewhere but i have tried searching and nothing :blush:

thanks

danny

d-9

Cut out about an inch or so, and weld it back on at a different angle. Easiest thing to do is pull it off the car, cut the flange off the pipe and remove the end of the pipe thats still inside the flange with a hammer and chisel.

Now bolt the flange onto the manifold where it would sit normally, then stick the pipe in. You may need to cut it a little to get it to sit home properly, once its in the right place, get a mate to score a line around the bottom of the flange so you can see where to weld it on.

Pull it off the car again, tack the flange onto the downpipe and check it all fits, if its all cool, then weld it on properly and fit, if its not quite right, then grind the tacks off, and adjust it slightly. Repeat until its a good fit.

Worth making sure u have a downpipe with the split down the middle, theyre a bit more of a sod to get the flange off, but the extra torque is well worth it.

yorkshirekowboy
Cut out about an inch or so, and weld it back on at a different angle. Easiest thing to do is pull it off the car, cut the flange off the pipe and remove the end of the pipe thats still inside the flange with a hammer and chisel.

Now bolt the flange onto the manifold where it would sit normally, then stick the pipe in. You may need to cut it a little to get it to sit home properly, once its in the right place, get a mate to score a line around the bottom of the flange so you can see where to weld it on.

Pull it off the car again, tack the flange onto the downpipe and check it all fits, if its all cool, then weld it on properly and fit, if its not quite right, then grind the tacks off, and adjust it slightly. Repeat until its a good fit.

Worth making sure u have a downpipe with the split down the middle, theyre a bit more of a sod to get the flange off, but the extra torque is well worth it.

sounds a mission, yeah i have the pipe which has the split down the middle, any picturs of what they look like after?

welshpug

they're just a little shorter and a different angle that's all :wacko:

Ryan

This is mine. I cut the pipe about 15mm away from the flange, which counting the part inside the flange made it about 30mm shorter overall. The exact measurements vary from car to car and according to how much the manifold was altered by. You might need to remove more.

post-5273-1195993153_thumb.jpg

Then I filed off the weld holding the 30mm section in the flange and removed it.

post-5273-1195993207_thumb.jpg

Then I did as above - bolted the flange to the manifold, and offered up the downpipe until I got it where I wanted it, then marked it and got it welded. I also had a line of weld put across the end of the divider, as I'd seen one where it had split and the two halves peeled back and blocked the exhaust.

yorkshirekowboy
This is mine. I cut the pipe about 15mm away from the flange, which counting the part inside the flange made it about 30mm shorter overall. The exact measurements vary from car to car and according to how much the manifold was altered by. You might need to remove more.

post-5273-1195993153_thumb.jpg

Then I filed off the weld holding the 30mm section in the flange and removed it.

post-5273-1195993207_thumb.jpg

Then I did as above - bolted the flange to the manifold, and offered up the downpipe until I got it where I wanted it, then marked it and got it welded. I also had a line of weld put across the end of the divider, as I'd seen one where it had split and the two halves peeled back and blocked the exhaust.

ace mate thanks for your help.

danny

Sign in to follow this