• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eu_andreiutz

Tachy Relay Problems

eu_andreiutz

Hi,

I can see on mine that a resistance (?) is blown....the brown one in the left up part of the picture (sorry for the blurr)http://www.99poze.ro/Tachy_relay_peugeot/1

Can someone tell me where can I find a Tachy relay diagram?

I don`t know what to replace it because it is blown and I can only see it`s ends.

Any idea?

What does this do? Efectively- I know it starts the fuel pump and the injectors...but how does it do it?

Also I have another problem....after finally getting the engine started it can`t keep the idle and it doesn`t sound too good when I rev it up.

Thanks for any help provided.

Cheers

Andrei

post-9404-1195849616_thumb.jpg

DamirGTI

Hi !

Well this tachy relays are easy to repair - if it's just blown resistor go and buy another one (in some "Chip" store ..) , remove the blown one out and solder the new resistor back inside ...

This is the fuel pump relay it switches pump priming on – off , as for wire diagram it's best to buy Haynes book inside you will find complete wiring diagrams ..

or download short PDF version from here :

http://www.205gti.com/downloads.htm

Cheers !

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

eu_andreiutz

Damir the thing is that I can`t see what kind of resistor it was....so can u tell me? or take a picture of one....if you have it. :)

Thanks

Andrei

Roman

hello

i think that resistant is 1.2 k ohm(but i check tomorow in garage) to be shure

DamirGTI

Just take this relay with you to the Chip store and show it to the guy who works there and he will find you identical new resistor .. anyway it must be of the same color markings ... and thats how you will buy new one - same color marks on the resistor , same resistor resistance value .. if I'm not mistaken :rolleyes:

Cheers !

Damir

eu_andreiutz

Dude I know I can do that but don`t you understand I can`t see the colors....it is blown....it`s black....no colours....

Anyway...I bought a 1.2kOhm resistor and fitted.....still it doesn`t activate the fuel pump....the rest is working.

I put the fuel pump directly with the ignition...the engine fired and started.

Some problems apeared:

1. Some misfireing in the exaust quite a lot....in the intake just a couple of them.

2. The idle is still erratic...not too good.

3. Accelerating is pretty erratic too.

4. Idleing is reving up itself then reving down....then up again and so on.

Tomorow I will put some videos I made with my phone maybe you can help me.

Thanks.

Andrei.

pug_ham

Are the Ht leads in the correct order & is it timed correctly?

Graham.

Bassman

I would also be careful, a resistor doesn't just cook itself unless there it is dissipating more power than it is rated for. I would check the relay contacts are clean and that all the pins to the relay are properly soldered in. I had a problem with mine that a poor relay contact caused one of the pins to cook and partially de-solder itself causing poor starting. Cleaned it up and re-soldered and it is ok at the moment.

Links to photos here of my relay:

Relay

Dry Joint

Relay Innards

Edited by Bassman

eu_andreiutz

Graham,

They are in the correct order....and the timing was ok...I never removed the timing belt....so it should be fine.

About the AFM I can`t say the same thing....the guy I bought it from said he opened it and modified the flap resistance....I`m trying to fix it now but I don`t know where the original position is.

Bassman I will look today at the solder joints but they were fine the last time I looked.

Anyway our relays aren`t the same after I saw yours....the number pins are the same but the parts inside are diferent....prbobably another year os something.

I still believe it it just a fueling problem...too much fuel or not enough....because of the afm

Thanks...I am open to other ideas...:unsure:

Andrei

Edited by eu_andreiutz

eu_andreiutz

Updates:

I looked at the timing belt and indeed it was a notch wrong....thanks Graham....I put it corectly now.

But stil it`s dificult to start and it sounds the same as yesterday....like there is something wrong somewhere.

Another thing is that it smokes ....really white smoke coming out the exaust...after 20 seconds of reving( that wouldn`t go higher than 2500rpm) it looked like fog ....I almost couldn`t see in my backyard.....

What does white smoke mean....I knew it was for wrong timing...wright?

Also the spark are still wet when I check them.

Anyone know how the AFM is correctly tuned? I found a mark inside it ...seems like the original setting for the flap...I hope it`s ok now.

Any other ideas are welcome...

eu_andreiutz

More updates from today:

Engine starts very good....idles correctly...but stops after 1-2 minutes.

When I check the sparkplugs they are wet...with petrol an oil.

Also when I rev it up oil comes out from the dipstick....did I put too much oil in it? -4.5 litres - and white smoke again.

Smels like cooking after I remove the sparkplugs.

Edited by eu_andreiutz

DamirGTI

..blown head gasket :D

Damir

eu_andreiutz

I thought about that damir....but the engine has only 80.000 km....I`m trying to leave that as the last resort.

For now I have a fueling problem....seems that the fuel pump is sucking air from somewhere as I can see in the bottle I put the fuelrail feed in....fuel with air is coming in....I`m going to look tomorow at the feed from the reservoi....being an original 1.1 it had the submerged fuel pump that I replaced with the inline 405 one.

Also the freakin tachy relay doesn`t seem to energise either the fuel pump or the injectors....I jump started it for now.

I drained about 1L of oil as it seems I put too much in it....the oil dipstick was a lot over the max mark.

The white smoke seems to have dissapeared....black now...but not so much anymore ...I think the engine is running a little high on petrol(I forgot the word for that)

Sign in to follow this