• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

Roll Cages

Dan Ingram

Im looking at putting a roll cage in my car as its going to be mostly used for track days after christmas. Not being flush with cash all the time i've been looking at half cages as they are considerably cheaper. There obvioulsy going to help stop the roof coming in if I was unlucky enough to roll it but is not going to do the same job as a full one of course. What i'd like to know is if a half cage would help stiffen the shell at all or is it a complete waste of time even considering one??

309PUG

When it comes down to safety never never skimp on these matters, it is potentailly your life your gambling with :)

Safety should be at the forefront of any modification before performance tweeks, you never know what might happen out on the track.

Get a full cage fitted with door bars.

Chris

bren_1.3

the basic OMP/sparco cages arent all that expensive, and maybe kev-g off the forum might be able to do you a competitive price? or see if a group buy can be organised to bring the costs down?

i dont think half cages would improve the stiffness of the shell all that much, your only effectively bracing the rear half of the car, and even then not all that well as its a bolt in affair rather than a weld in job.

Alan_M

Are'nt the half-cages more for the show factor than structural strength and safety?

Kev-G
Im looking at putting a roll cage in my car as its going to be mostly used for track days after christmas. Not being flush with cash all the time i've been looking at half cages as they are considerably cheaper. There obvioulsy going to help stop the roof coming in if I was unlucky enough to roll it but is not going to do the same job as a full one of course. What i'd like to know is if a half cage would help stiffen the shell at all or is it a complete waste of time even considering one??

Not flush with cash + running 3 cars including a 07 Mini.... :wacko:

For track use a half-cage is no use - Do it right!!

£335 for an OMP 10 Pt. delivered.

Dan Ingram

Full cage it is then. It appears there are a few options OMP, Sparco, Safety Devices. 6 point or 10 point, welded or bolt it. Are any manufacturers better than others?? I think the weld in looks like the better option as it dosnt cost much more and the bolt in one needss some welding anyway. But is there much advantage to going for the 10 point over the six point?

ccgoose

full cage if its just track

bren_1.3
Full cage it is then. It appears there are a few options OMP, Sparco, Safety Devices. 6 point or 10 point, welded or bolt it. Are any manufacturers better than others?? I think the weld in looks like the better option as it dosnt cost much more and the bolt in one needss some welding anyway. But is there much advantage to going for the 10 point over the six point?

omp/sparco are just the same really..be aware of the cack fitting plates supplied with these. the main site guide to the omp cage should tell you more.

safety devices cages are a better fit and come supplied painted AFAIK, dont know all that much about them since they moved production to poland i think it was.

also bear in mind you wont be able to remove the weld in cage without tearing the car apart.....a bolt in can travel from car to car....or be sold on....

Sign in to follow this