• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BossHogg

Doors Drop When Opened

BossHogg

Not a great problem but one i would like to fix, the doors drop when opened, is this down to worn pins or worn hinges? I'm assuming pins would be easier to change. But which is the most likely to be the cause of the problem?

thanks in advance

jord294

out of experience i'd say the hinges were shot.

new pins may take a little of the drop out short term.

i had this same problem on my car. in the end i bought 4 brand new hinges (about £12 each) from main dealer, and had them welded on.

it's unbelievable how quiet the doors are to shut.

if you decide to have new hinges welded on. a little tip is to get them welded so door is ever so slightly higher than latch. only a couple of days use and they will have dropped and be perfect

butchlad

My driver's door has this issue, but only slightly. Not enough for me to go down the replacement hinge route. I'll be keeping an eye on this post, and will let you know if I come up with an "easy fix"

pug_ham

It depends on what type of hinge pins you have.

With the roll pin type if they've only just started dropping, get new hinge pins & with any luck you'll fix it but if they've been bad for a while then you might need new hinges welding on. :)

To check if its just the pins, you can knock them further into the hinge & see if it takes up the slack. (if you have the roll pin type anyway).

If your hinges are the Torx bolt then its more likely to be the hinge arm on the body but these don't wear out anywhere near as much imo.

Graham.

BossHogg

With the roll pin type if they've only just started dropping, get new hinge pins & with any luck you'll fix it but if they've been bad for a while then you might need new hinges welding on. :)

To check if its just the pins, you can knock them further into the hinge & see if it takes up the slack. (if you have the roll pin type anyway).

If your hinges are the Torx bolt then its more likely to be the hinge arm on the body but these don't wear out anywhere near as much imo.

Graham.

Thanks for the info, i'll get some new pics as they are the roll pin type, it's only the drivers door and it only drops a little but these things eat into me until i eventually i have to do something about it .

McPikie

With the roll pin type if they've only just started dropping, get new hinge pins & with any luck you'll fix it but if they've been bad for a while then you might need new hinges welding on. :D

Graham.

How do we find out the difference Graham??

I'm on an 89 F plate

jord294

you'll have pins in your door hinges mcpikie.

iirc, it's cars later than '91 that have torx screw in

Simes

My drivers door drops even with new pins. Rather than weld on new hinges you could always drill out the hole and fit M7 (AFAIK) pins. I've yet to do this but I do believe a forum member has.

Paintguy

If it only drops a little, then try packing out the lower hinge a little to take up the slack. Using an assistant to help support the door, take out the bolts from the lower hinge, and place some thin washers between the hinge and door. Close it carefully, making sure it doesn't catch the body work at the bottom rear corner, and you're sorted :wacko:

It won't cure the problem, just alleviate the symptoms, but it's a cheap enough trick to try first.

Another method is the open the door slightly, place a trolley jack underneath it, and jack up the door bit by bit until it closes properly. It's a risky method, especially with the flimsy doors you find on a 205, but it works in a similar way to the above.

And grease your hinge pins well, to reduce further wear :blush:

Sign in to follow this