• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

306 S16 Vs Mi16 1905 Cylinder Heads

24seven

I was reading a thread in teh general section about S16 conversion advice, and the problem of oil surge came up. Are there any differences betwee the Mi16 1905 and 306 S16 cylinder heads that reduce oil surge in the latter? if so, am I right in thinking an S16 head would go straight onto an Mi16 alloy bottom end, thus reducing/eliminating oil surge?

Anthony

It's the S16 bottom ends that help with the oil surge (baffles, windage tray, higher pressure/flow pump etc) - the heads are a very similar design between Mi's and S16's, with minor differences like the exhaust manifold fitting and oil feed for the vaccum pump.

GTi-6 heads are significantly different to Mi/S16 and the design of them should reduce oil surge issues

24seven

I didn't think the 6 head fitted onto the alloy Mi bottom end without a lot of work?

it's a little frustrating being a poor student. reading threds like sandy's about engine building, that's what I want to be doing for a living, but as it is I have no money, no workspace and no tools of my own to work with. if I did I'd be able to answer my own questions.

/rant

Edited by 24Seven

James_R
I didn't think the 6 head fitted onto the alloy Mi bottom end without a lot of work?

6 heads are effectively the same casting as the XU7 16v heads, and the XU7 bottom end is essential the same as an XU9J4 bottom end, so with the use of a XU7 h/g and head bolts, robert is your fathers brother :lol:

24seven

didn't realise the XU7 block was the same as an XU9J4. Already plan on dropping a 6 head onto my 306 XU7. might see about doing similar on my Mi.

James_m

Even with the Full S16 bottom end parts with trap door, high flow pump etc, 1.9 Mi's are rubbish. I think the oil ways must be the problem on the 1900.

IIRC Cartooner identified a problem and proposed a mod to the block, but we never heard the result.

James_R

Was that the return on the flywheel side from the top of the block to the sump? through the main cap or something odd?

Sign in to follow this