• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

My Brakes.....406 Mc

Spiky

ok, i've had the 406 MC on my car all year now and i'm not 100% happy with it,

there is a bit of travel in the pedal before any braking is done,

i've bledd the system several times, so i ruled that out,

is the arm that sllides into the MC adjustable??

and should i have extended this before fitting the new MC

Super Josh

I have the same problem as you. Yes the rod is adjustable, but it can be seized too. You really need something like a vernier caliper so that you can measure the depth of the hole in the MC and also how much the rod protrudes by. So that you can work out accurately how much to adjust it.

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

Spiky

i have the kit to do that, :D

thanks for that,

i'll have a look later :)

Normski

I had this when I fitted my 406 MC. I didn't realise the accuracy needed when measuring the clearance between the servo rod and the MC. I thought it was close enough and fitted the MC. Only to have a longer pedal travel than what it should be.

I took it off again and changed the clearance a tiny amount ( 0.5mm !!!) and it made a huge difference to the pedal travel.

Super Josh

What tools did you use to adjust the rod? It's been a while since I loked at it, but from memory the end of the rod is knurled? And the lock nut is a little way down the rod and it's difficult to get a spanner on it to release it.

Josh

tom_m

iirc there should be some clearance between the rod and the MC to allow for heat expansion of the brake components. too little clearance can result in the brakes binding on

Normski
What tools did you use to adjust the rod? It's been a while since I loked at it, but from memory the end of the rod is knurled? And the lock nut is a little way down the rod and it's difficult to get a spanner on it to release it.

Josh

Maybe there's different types, because on mine (1992 1.9), there was a domed nut on the very end of the servo rod. The servo rod itself could rotate freely so it was a case of holding the servo rod with grips so the nut could be adjusted. By holding the brake pedal fully down, the rod is a bit easier to work on.

If after adjustment the brakes bind, then you've gone to far.

Sign in to follow this