• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Mot Worries (emissions)

djinuk

I have mot on saturday in my 1.9 gti 205. The car has been stood a while but i have refurbed the rear beam along with new brakes etc etc. however the engine and emissions is my main worry, ive not been able to drive the car on the road but the engine seems a little rough and the ticover is a little crazy. where abouts should the engine tickover and how should i go about setting this, if i hold the throttle at about 2k i can see the engine seems to run a little inconsistant in the fact every so often the engine litrally moves slightly as tho a slight miss fire, although i have replaced the plugs and leads.

Any advice is more than appreciated here. Thanks

Anthony

Non-CAT emissions tests are pretty easy to get through, so I wouldn't worry too much - a slight misfire isn't going to produce high enough HC's to fail, and generally if the idle is steady and not hunting then it'll be under the CO limit.

Idle speed should be about 900-1000rpm hot, dropping to about 800rpm with full electrical load.

Idle speed screw is on top of the throttle body - clockwise to lower idle speed, and anti-clockwise to raise it - and the idle CO adjustment is the allen screw on the AFM body - clockwise to richen, anti-clockwise to lean the mixture off.

Ethos

The engine should tickover at ~900rpm, there is a idle screw on the throttle body which adjusts this.I would also be interested on ways to get the cars to pass emissions without a problem as I have a feeling ours won't in Feb.Would be worth cleaning the throttle body, the idle screw, any breathing / air pipes and just do a visual check of everything. Could even re-track the afm.

Edited by Ethos

SPGTi

Mine failed on emmissions. The screw on the AFM didn't seem to do anything so I took the top off the AFM and moved the large black dial about ten teeth clockwise. This reduced the reading from 4.5 % to 2.9% (under 3.5% is a pass). I then moved the dial back to the original position and went home with a new MOT certificate.

Steve

Sign in to follow this