• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Frequentflyer

Cti - Door Lock

Frequentflyer

Hello all,

Having had enormous help from Steve and Henry regarding electric window problems, I now have a much simpler problem (I think - but I am old and non-technical!)

I want to replace the CTI door trims with those off a GTI - which will then cover the bare bit of metal at the top of the door, below the window seal.

The only other two differences that I can see in the two trims (both phase 2 - I think?) are:-

1. The CTI door lock "knob" - which sticks out of the top of the trailing edge of the door - and its surround (see pic below) appears to be bigger than the GTI version. Therefore I would have to remove the current CTI knob and surround, from the car and cut a slightly bigger hole in the GTI trim, and then re-install them once the GTI trim is in position.

post-7372-1195471038_thumb.jpg

2 The GTI panel has one extra securing pin to the right-hand side of the speaker grill - when looking at the inside of the passenger door - this should be easy to accomodate by just drilling an extra hole in the right position.

My idiot question is - how do you remove the CTI knob and its surround from the door - hopefully without breaking anything! The fact that the car has central locking is probably not very relevant, as I suspect that CTIs without this are exactly the same in design/layout.

Any advice most gratefully received - thanks - Roy

post-7372-1195470877_thumb.jpg

DaveW

I would keep the cti cards as having the gti lock pins makes it far too easy to unlock the car! if you know how :(

Frequentflyer
I would keep the cti cards as having the gti lock pins makes it far too easy to unlock the car! if you know how :(

Hello Dave,

Hope that you have got your seats sorted!

A propos the "lock pins" - if I understand what you mean - I was hoping to keep the CTI knob (and surround) but just install them in the GTI panel. If I did this surely it would not make any difference as far illegal entry is concerned? Or is there something I am missing here?

Cheers - Roy

vern

We have cars with soft tops, I think someone "lifting" the lock pin is the least of our worries

steve@cornwall
We have cars with soft tops, I think someone "lifting" the lock pin is the least of our worries

Had a quick look at mine and I think- that if you take the screws out from the c/l actuator, the door pin and knob can be removed by unhooking the actuator. As you will need the surround from the gti door cover, damaging the surround shouldn't matter too much? but I think that it will slide up and out once the door pin is removed.

However........ the red line on the gti door trim, will be out of line with the rear - and IMO looks horrible! I got part way through fitting Ph2 doorcards in my first cti (to match the dash I fitted) and stopped when I noticed this. Also I think it makes the rear look unfinished, as the body coloured metal below the rear window still shows

ifcho
However........ the red line on the gti door trim, will be out of line with the rear - and IMO looks horrible! I got part way through fitting Ph2 doorcards in my first cti (to match the dash I fitted) and stopped when I noticed this. Also I think it makes the rear look unfinished, as the body coloured metal below the rear window still shows

I was about to change my doorcards as well, whe I noticed the same. So I just left mine and they are nice :)

P.S. I have a new hood from a few days, much better than the old, torn one. :D

Henry Yorke

I would leave the door cards too for the reasons above. The GTI has the back all covered with plastic too so looks neat with the door cards the full length and as has been said, the red line needs to line up, unless you are going for some chequered late cards.

Sign in to follow this