• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Smigzy

Valve Stem Seals 1.6 Gti

Smigzy

I got blue smoke on Friday from the pug :D , fine in normal driving and at idle until the water temp goes up to max, then blue smoke starts pouring out so i'm thinking its the valve stem seals.

I was thinking of doing it myself and trying to save a few quid as im skint at the moment.

Is it worth me trying or should i just chuck it in the garage? Any ideas how much it would be or how hard it is to do myself? I've heard there is a trick with a compressor in the spark plug holes so you dont have to take the head off?

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!!!

M@tt

I've not done one without taking the head off but to use the compressed air method you'll need a hose adapter to allow you to force air into the chamber to stop the valve falling in.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=28930

Another trick is to fill the chamber with rope (packed tightly in) through the spark plug hole as that will stop the valve from dropping

If you want to do the leaving the head on method you'll need a suitable spring compressor to push the springs down (not sure which one of these is most suitable)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=28929

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=28949

In terms of cost if you went to a garage you'll be looking at over a hundered quid for labour at least i would imagine (estimate £35/hr) and they'll whip the head off no doubt.

If the head comes off you'll be looking at another £35/£40 for a new HG & bolts

The valve stem seals themselves are pretty cheap £1 or so each

simonb

Dont even need a compressor. Just turn the crank to TDC with each valve you are working on. Also invest in a set of valve stem plyers - makes the job a lot easier. Took me best part of a day to do it with the head on.

jackherer
(search broken)

are you sure? :(:wacko:

pug_ham
I got blue smoke on Friday from the pug :( , fine in normal driving and at idle until the water temp goes up to max, then blue smoke starts pouring out so i'm thinking its the valve stem seals.

Does this sound lik valve stem oil seals to anyone else? Was the smoke defianetly blue & not grey / white?

It sounds a bit more like the head gasket is starting to fail & blowing water into the combustion chamber to me.

This happened on a friends car & they ignored it until the engine was dead but check your oil filler hose for mayo, lots of it.

Graham.

Smigzy

Cheers for the replies guys,

Graham:- i hope its not the HG, ive just skimmed and replaced it about a month and a half ago! smoke is definatley blue but there is no smoke when at normal operating water temp, only becomes blue when it creeps to the next white line (2 from top i think) then back to no smoke when back down to normal driving temp. will check the coolant and oil etc tonight to be 100% but im pretty sure all thats ok.

Jack:- tried searching about 6 times but just kept failing to load the page, could just be works comps playing up

Matt, thanks for that mate, some good info there.

Could it be that the liners were disturbed when the cylinder head was taken off last time? Would this yield the same problems?

ifcho

To change the seals just take the cam off, and get hold of a nice spring compressor.

Then just turn the cylinder to TDC on the cylinder you are working on and change the seal.

Just as somebody above said.

GLPoomobile

You did the head gasket recently and didn't take the opportunity to do the stem seals at the same time? Ain't hindsight a bitch? :)

If you are comfortable taking the head off etc, which you must be, then I'd go the route of stripping it all apart yourself and spending a little extra, maybe get the head chemically cleaned, and if any valve guides need replacing then get them done as well. I haven't personally done it with the head on, but I have a guide for it, it just kind of was a bit daunting to me :D

steve@cornwall

Just had the head off and now smoking when fully up to temp? How did you seal the inlet manifold gasket? It's possible the unused waterways in the head are leaking under pressure and spraying into the inlet ports. Seal it up with instant gasket, with a liberal amount into the waterways.

Sign in to follow this