• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
projectpug

205 Track Car Differential

James_R

Rear is running 24mm bars 27mm ARB, I doubt it's the rear being too soft.

Way I see it is the rear is almost fixed, so if the nose can roll more than the tail it shows up as the tail lifting (as the amount of roll the rear can move is saturdated so it lifts the wheel). So more roll resistance to the nose should counter that, or induce understeer, although I generally end up with overtseer from agressive turn in as there's only 1 wheel on the floor at the back :(

**sorry for the thread hijack :lol:

VisaGTi16v

hmm yes I do kinda understand heh. My things to soft all round. Problem I have is although the fronts the same as a 205, the rear is earlier 104/samba trailing arms with coil overs so difficult to work out the correct setup. Still got 3 out of 7 class wins this year so its "ok" heh but would be nicer if I could drive quicker and get more traction as im sure the quaife is up to more. A friend is putting a Kaaz in his mk2 Golf so I will give that a try to get a vague idea although obviously not a direct comparison

Dazza

Makes for interesting stuff guys as usual ,iam also sandwiched between this decision ATB V Plated .......i intend to go for the Quaife ATB on my 205 as i have the fit and forget syndrome ,my mate whom runs a rediculously quick 106 gti s/c swears by the Quaife he has fitted and were at similar figures with power outputs .albeit i can also see the other valued points raised in the thread and dont disagree .

philfingers

I ran a TranX in my road rally (8v) 309 for 4 years and about 10 to 12k miles. It was brand new when I fitted it and when I pulled it out periodically (last at around 10k) there was no wear at all to the plates. It was run on Comma SX semi syn'. The 45/45 ramp angles are fine for road use. I got greedy and went to 60/30, bad idea for tight slippery lanes. It wouldn't turn in, hit the hedge a few times. Even at normal road speeds in the wet, goign around islands etc caused a few moments. Changed it back again, perfect. It seems that on (gravel) 60/30 settings it's fine when both wheels are sliding a lot, such as on a gravel event but on the road (even road rally) you don't get close to this. Effectively it's trying to lock the front wheels together, which means they want to go in a straight line, even when turned!

As for PAS or not, it depends on the use I suppose. I did one event where the PAS failed after scrutineering (pipe burst on the daft sharp little bracket under the dizzy- it wears through the pipes) and I felt like I'd done a few rounds with Tyson after. BUT that's in tright twisty (wet) llanes when you have a lot of spin to control, on a track it would be better I'm sure.

I used the car to go bewteen the midlands and Aberdeen for work, it was fine (apart from the 4.4 CWP!). BUT LSDs make the car very sensitive to tyre mismatches, tyre pressures (5 psi side to side, you wouldn't tell with an open diff), tracking out etc.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. But there have been some reported qualitity control problems with them recently, check out www.britishrally.com and search under the technical archives.

I have a Mi16 box if you want one, 50 quid, drop me a mail Phil

Phil

projectpug

How much for the mi final drive on its own easier to post then? How much you want for the final drive delivered?

Cheers

Phil

I ran a TranX in my road rally (8v) 309 for 4 years and about 10 to 12k miles. It was brand new when I fitted it and when I pulled it out periodically (last at around 10k) there was no wear at all to the plates. It was run on Comma SX semi syn'. The 45/45 ramp angles are fine for road use. I got greedy and went to 60/30, bad idea for tight slippery lanes. It wouldn't turn in, hit the hedge a few times. Even at normal road speeds in the wet, goign around islands etc caused a few moments. Changed it back again, perfect. It seems that on (gravel) 60/30 settings it's fine when both wheels are sliding a lot, such as on a gravel event but on the road (even road rally) you don't get close to this. Effectively it's trying to lock the front wheels together, which means they want to go in a straight line, even when turned!

As for PAS or not, it depends on the use I suppose. I did one event where the PAS failed after scrutineering (pipe burst on the daft sharp little bracket under the dizzy- it wears through the pipes) and I felt like I'd done a few rounds with Tyson after. BUT that's in tright twisty (wet) llanes when you have a lot of spin to control, on a track it would be better I'm sure.

I used the car to go bewteen the midlands and Aberdeen for work, it was fine (apart from the 4.4 CWP!). BUT LSDs make the car very sensitive to tyre mismatches, tyre pressures (5 psi side to side, you wouldn't tell with an open diff), tracking out etc.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. But there have been some reported qualitity control problems with them recently, check out www.britishrally.com and search under the technical archives.

I have a Mi16 box if you want one, 50 quid, drop me a mail Phil

Phil

philfingers
How much for the mi final drive on its own easier to post then? How much you want for the final drive delivered?

Cheers

Phil

I'm in Africa until 12th Dec anyway but on the 15th I'm heading up to Shrewsbury for the Telford Novice road rally, so you could come down and collect, or hopefully I'll be heading up to N Wales on the 23rd Dec, so could meet you on the A5 somewhere then. Sorry, don't really have the time to start stripping the box down,

Phil

ps it's BE3, not that it make any difference, it'll fit a BE1 too

projectpug
I'm in Africa until 12th Dec anyway but on the 15th I'm heading up to Shrewsbury for the Telford Novice road rally, so you could come down and collect, or hopefully I'll be heading up to N Wales on the 23rd Dec, so could meet you on the A5 somewhere then. Sorry, don't really have the time to start stripping the box down,

Phil

ps it's BE3, not that it make any difference, it'll fit a BE1 too

Sounds good im sure can sort something out dec 23rd will probably be more like it , i take it the gearbox is fine did you take it off your car or what?

Sign in to follow this